Antony to induct 5th AOPV ‘ICGS Sankalp’ into coast guard tomorrowMay 19th, 2008 - 7:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 19 (ANI): Defence Minister A K Antony will induct the fifth Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel (AOPV), ‘ICGS Sankalp’, into the Coast Guard at a function in Goa tomorrow.
Director General Indian Coast Guard Vice Admiral R F Contractor will also be present at the commissioning ceremony.
The ICGS Sankalp has been designed and built indigenously by the defence PSU, Goa Shipyard Limited. The AOPV is designed to carry one twin-engine helicopter, including the indigenously built Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), and five high-speed boats for search and rescue, prompt interception and marine pollution response missions.
It is equipped with sophisticated navigational and communication sensors. The special features include an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS), high power External Fire Fighting System and two indigenously built Gun Mounts. Besides, an Infra-Red Surveillance System will impart the AOPV with night vision capability.
The ship, to be based in Mumbai, is 105 meters long, draws 2,300 tons and is propelled by 8000 hp twin diesel engines to a maximum speed of 25 knots. It can sail upto 6,500 nautical miles without refueling. DIG K S Sheoran will be the first commandant of the ICGS “Sankalp”.
The Coast Guard plans to induct one more AOPV, three Pollution Control Vessels (PCVs), five Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs) and 11 Interceptor Boats (IBs), which are under various stages of construction at the Indian shipyards, into its fleet by next year. (ANI)
- Coast Guard inducts inshore patrol ship - Aug 29, 2012
- Antony to induct 5th AOPV 'ICGS Sankalp' into coast guard today - May 20, 2008
- Coast Guard commissions pollution control vessel - Oct 09, 2010
- ICGS Rajtarang commissioned in Chennai - May 19, 2012
- Coastguard to induct fifth indigenously built vessel - May 19, 2008
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- Antony commissions new generation Coast Guard vessel - Mar 17, 2010
- Coastal security radar stations to be ready this year - Feb 15, 2012
- Goa shipyard to build six patrol vessels for Coast Guard - May 09, 2012
- Defence shipyard eyeing markets in Middle East, Africa - Aug 24, 2011
- Defence Secretary commissions Coast Guard ship C-147 in Goa - May 28, 2010
- New Coast Guard interceptor vessel commissioned - Oct 02, 2010
- Coast Guard to get four new stations to plug security gaps in eastern region - Feb 10, 2010
- New interceptor boat for coast guard in Gujarat - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: alh, bridge system, defence minister, external fire, gun mounts, ipvs, light helicopter, machinery control, marine pollution, nautical miles, patrol vessel, patrol vessels, pollution control, pollution response, sankalp, speed boats, surveillance system, twin diesel engines, twin engine helicopter, vice admiral