Antony meets Indian diaspora in OmamMay 18th, 2010 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, May 18 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony, on a two-day visit to Oman, said at a meeting with Indian expatriates here that New Delhi was committed to consolidating bilateral ties with the Gulf nation.
Shortly after his arrival in Muscat Monday evening, Antony attended a dinner hosted for prominent members of Indian community by Indian ambassador Anil Wadhwa.
“India will expand its cooperation with Oman in all fields,” Antony said, while addressing the Indian diaspora.
“The bilateral relations between India and Oman are centuries old. We consolidate our relations on a regular basis while exploring newer avenues of mutual co-operation,” he added.
Over 500,000 Indians, the largest expatriate community in Oman, are involved in a wide spectrum of professions in the Gulf country. Coming from all parts of India, they include skilled workers and technicians and professionals such as doctors, engineers, bankers, finance experts and senior management officers in the private sector.
Antony also called on Sultan of Oman Qaboos bin Said bin Thaimour Al Said, who is also the supreme commander of the country’s armed forces. He also held talks with his Omani counterpart Sayyid Badr bin Saud bin Harib Al Busaidi.
They discussed ways to promote military cooperation between the two countries.
This is the first high-level Indian delegation to visit Oman after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s trip in 2008.
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- India, Oman armies to hold joint military exercise in 2011 - May 18, 2010
- Antony to visit Oman to boost defence cooperation - May 14, 2010
- Antony to visit Oman next week - May 14, 2010
- India, Oman sign memorandum on military cooperation - Dec 28, 2011
- Antony visits Oman to boost security ties - May 17, 2010
- Oman to allow temple, gurdwara - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian assistance to Afghanistan will continue: Antony - May 18, 2010
- Tharoor heads for Oman Friday - Feb 04, 2010
- Geojit BNP Paribas forms joint venture in Oman - Sep 21, 2011
- Indian defence minister leaves for Saudi Arabia - Feb 13, 2012
- Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperation - May 12, 2012
- Indian envoy to UAE meets Ras Al Khaimah ruler - Jun 06, 2012
- Shashi Tharoor to visit Oman - Feb 04, 2010
- India, Oman to boost economic, energy ties - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: bilateral relations, bilateral ties, defence minister, expatriate community, india and oman, indian ambassador, indian delegation, indian diaspora, indian expatriates, management officers, manmohan, manmohan singh, military cooperation, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, qaboos bin, saud, skilled workers, sultan of oman, wadhwa