Antiquities dealer caught smuggling Egyptian artefactsJanuary 16th, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 16 (DPA) A Lebanese antiquities dealer was arrested in Bulgaria after being charged with smuggling stolen ancient Egyptian artefacts, Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) has said.”Ali Abu Taam was accused of smuggling more than 1,000 antiquities and helping Egyptian dealer Tareq al-Sweissi smuggle Egyptian pieces that belonged to different dynasties,” said SCA chief Zahi Hawas.
Hawas added that Abu Taam, who was arrested with help from Interpol, is one of the main figures in al-Sweissi’s 2003 case. Al-Sweissi was caught while smuggling 280 pieces of antiquities.
Some of the pieces were smuggled after being labelled as bottles exported by a well-known company. Others were hidden in boxes of toys and electronic equipment.
An Egyptian criminal court sentenced Abu Taam in absentia in April 2004 to 15 years in jail and a fine worth 50,000 Egyptian pounds (around $9,000).
During the past five years, Egypt has been able to retrieve thousands of antiquities illegally smuggled out of the country.
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- Germany rejects Egypt's request to return Queen Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- 5,000-year-old wooden boat discovered in Egypt - Jul 26, 2012
- Abu Dhabi foils bid to sell fake antiques - Apr 09, 2011
- Britons held for smuggling 'fake' artefacts out of Egypt - Feb 28, 2012
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- 2,000-year-old temple dedicated to cat god found in Egypt - Jan 20, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - May 20, 2010
- Egypt opens six ancient tombs to visitors - May 24, 2011
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010