Anti-nuke rally to mark Chernobyl’s 26th anniversaryApril 26th, 2012 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 26 (IANS) Hundreds of people are likely to take part in a three-km long march here Thursday evening to mark the 26th anniversary of the world’s worst nuclear disaster at Chernobyl, Ukraine.
The march, organised by eight anti-nuclear and environmental groups under the umbrella of Konkan Bachao Samiti (KBS), an NGO, will start from Holi ground in Dharavi and culminate at Sion Station in central Mumbai.
For the last two years, the KBS has been spearheading the agitation against the proposed nuclear power plant coming up at Jaitapur in Ratnagiri district, around 250 km south of Mumbai.
“Through the march on the anniversary of Chernobyl disaster, we will highlight public concerns over the issue, especially since several countries have now moved away from nuclear power to renewable sources of power”, said Arun Velaskar, a KBS member.
The catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on April 26, 1986, at the Chernobyl nuclear plant in Ukraine had rendered a vast area equal to half of Ratnagiri district uninhabitable and an area equal to one-third of Maharashtra unfit for any agriculture activities, he said.
Following last year’s Fukushima nuclear accident, vast areas of Japan are now contaminated with radioactivity, prompting that country to shut down majority of its nuclear reactors.
Velaskar said several countries, including Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Venezuela have either decided to phase out their existing nuclear plants or abandon future nuclear programmes.
“Despite all scientific facts and public opinion, our government continues to pursue the nuclear programme,” he said.
- On Chernobyl anniversary, experts confident about nuclear energy - Apr 26, 2011
- Ukraine urges global efforts to tackle man-made disasters - Apr 26, 2011
- Put all nuke plans on hold, urges anti-Jaitapur group - May 11, 2011
- UN chief to visit Chernobyl next week - Apr 13, 2011
- Apex court to hear plea against n-plants Monday - Nov 12, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan remembers Chernobyl n-disaster victims - Apr 27, 2012
- Ukranian and Russian Presidents visit Chernobyl Cathedral on 25th anniversary of explosion - Apr 26, 2011
- Medvedev to propose blueprint for greater nuclear safety - Apr 26, 2011
- Ukraine, NATO to carry out radioactive clean-up - Jun 25, 2011
- Fukushima crisis level raised to highest level-7 (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Anti-Jaitapur activists allege Rane disrupted their protest - Jul 11, 2011
- Jaitapur may store spent nuclear fuel: Activists - Nov 30, 2010
- Japan n-plant crisis may be worse than Chernobyl (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Shiv Sena trying to politicise Jaitapur issue: Ramesh - Apr 19, 2011
- Curbs imposed on movement of two ex-judges opposing n-plant - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: 26th anniversary, agitation, april 26 1986, central mumbai, chernobyl disaster, chernobyl nuclear plant, dharavi, fukushima, holi, kbs, nuclear accident, nuclear disaster, nuclear plants, nuclear power plant, nuclear reactors, public concerns, public opinion, radioactivity, renewable sources, sources of power