Anti-Indian US diplomat hired to lobby for Islamabad in WashingtonNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:00 am ICT by admin
“Cassidy’s work will involve lobbying and public relations campaigns promoting Pakistan’s status as an ‘important strategic partner’ of the US”, the Daily Times quoted The Hill, a small publication devoted to congressional coverage.
Raphael, who has taken up the new responsibility at a crucial time when Pakistan is facing an internal political turmoil and its international image has taken a severe beating with the rise of Taliban, said, “We need to recognise it is not easy what Pakistan is trying to do here in assisting us in the fight against the terrorism in the region.”
“I think it’s clear there is a less than perfect understanding of Pakistan here,” she added.
However, Raphael is more known for her anti-India and pro-Pakistan views on Kashmir.
On October 23, 1993 she in her capacity as Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia, questioned Kashmir’s accession to India by saying, “We (USA) do not recognise the legal validity of Kashmir’s accession as meaning that Kashmir is for ever an integral part of India… The people of Kashmir have got to be consulted in any kind of final settlement of the Kashmir dispute.”
Her statement had created a storm in New Delhi and the then Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao had asked the US Administration to stop her from repeating such statements.
By signing one -year contract, Cassidy and Associates has become Pakistan’s one of the two official lobbyists for Islamabad there. The other lobbyist being Van Scoyoc Associates, which is paid 55,000 dollars a month by the Pakistan government. (ANI)
- Pak hires new lobbying firm after Kerry-Lugar aid bill 'disaster' - Sep 30, 2009
- 'Kashmir group in US released ISI statements verbatim' (With ISI agent held in US for illegal lobbying on Kashmir) - Jul 20, 2011
- Hiring of Raphel to coordinate non-military Pak aid against Obama's lobbying rules - Aug 08, 2009
- Fai fails to turn up, court defers hearing to Tuesday - Jul 22, 2011
- Kashmiri separatists may be questioned over Fai links - Jul 21, 2011
- ISI agent held in US for illegal lobbying on Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- ISI funelled $4 mn into US to influence Kashmir policy - Jul 20, 2011
- Haqqani calls for result-oriented India-Pak dialogue over Kashmir - Jul 30, 2010
- Pakistan uses Kashmir peace conference for anti-India tirade - Jul 30, 2010
- The spy who used ISI 'Brylcreem' to sway US (Washington Newsletter) - Dec 11, 2011
- Separatists flay Fai arrest, locals don't care - Jul 21, 2011
- Raphel appointed coordinator for non-military assistance to Pakistan - Aug 03, 2009
- Did Haqqani father 'iron-clad' Kerry Lugar conditions ? - Oct 09, 2009
- 'US counts on the rise of India as a global power' - Sep 29, 2011
- Zardari hails Bhutto, recalls Simla pact - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: accession, assistant secretary, cassidy, congressional coverage, crucial, dollar contract, India, international image, islamabad, kashmir dispute, legal validity, p v narasimha rao, pakistan government, political turmoil, public relations campaigns, raphael, recognise, secretary of state, South Asia, strategic partner