Anti-government gangs blamed for Syria massacreJune 1st, 2012 - 11:07 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, June 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A preliminary investigation has showed that anti-government armed groups had carried out last week’s massacre in Syria’s Houla town, Syrian authorities said.
When the massacre took place May 25-26, Syrian government forces were deployed around Houla. Some 600-800 anti-regime fighters carried out coordinated attacks against Syrian troops, who never entered Houla’s residential areas, said Brigadier General Qassem Jamal Suleiman, head of a special committee set up by the government to investigate the massacre.
“During armed clashes between (anti-government) fighters and the army, the latter did not leave its positions,” he said.
Over 100 people, including dozens of children and women, were killed in Houla, a cluster of villages in Syria’s western Homs province, in one of the deadliest events since the uprising against President Bashar Assad began in March 2011.
Suleiman said that those killed in the massacre were members of “families who refused to oppose the government and were at odds with the armed groups”.
The killings triggered international outrage, including strong condemnation by the UN Security Council.
UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said the pro-Assad “shabbiha” militia was responsible for many of the killings in the massacre, while part of the victims had been killed by artillery shells fired at Houla’s residential areas by government forces.
But Suleiman said “there were no people who died as a result of artillery shelling among the victims of the Houla slaughter”. Forensic examination revealed no fractured bones and signs of death caused by artillery explosions in victims’ bodies.
- UNSC discusses Syria at closed-door meeting - May 31, 2012
- UNSC calls emergency meet on Syria massacre - May 28, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia warns against hasty conclusions on Syria massacre - Jun 01, 2012
- Russia calls for probe into Syrian massacre - May 30, 2012
- Four nations expel Syrian envoys - May 29, 2012
- Around 90 killed in fresh massacre in Syria: Report (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on Syria - Feb 25, 2012
- Nearly 90 killed in new massacre in Syria: Report - Jun 07, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Both Syrian forces, rebels to blame for massacre: Russia - May 29, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: artillery shells, brigadier general, forensic examination, fractured bones, government forces, homs, houla, international outrage, killings, preliminary investigation, president bashar assad, qassem, residential areas, ria novosti, special committee, syrian authorities, syrian government, syrian troops, un peacekeeping, un security council