Anti-gay propaganda bill passed in SiberiaApril 26th, 2012 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The regional legislature in Russia’s Siberia region Thursday passed a bill banning promotion of homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender practices among minors.
“It’s mainly about various gay parades… about their promotion among minors. It’s about preventing people who are not related to homosexuality from explaining to their kids what is going on,” said Alexander Ilushchenko, who oversees a regional committee on culture, education, sports and youth policy.
A law penalising “the propaganda of homosexuality and paedophilia among minors” came into force in St. Petersburg March 17, prompting mixed reactions among Russians where anti-gay sentiment remains strong.
The US State Department has expressed concern about the law which stipulates fines of up to $16,000 on individuals and up to $160,000 on organisations promoting homosexuality.
Anti-gay laws have been approved in several Russian regions including Ryazan, Kostroma and Arkhangelsk.
- Russian city bans homosexual propaganda - Feb 29, 2012
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Gay propaganda banned in Russian city - Mar 11, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian gay rights activists arrested under new law - Apr 07, 2012
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- St. Petersburg gays to rally despite ban - Jul 07, 2012
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- Madonna's album released in Russia three days early - Mar 23, 2012
- Madonna sued for $10 mn over Russian concert comments - Aug 18, 2012
- Russian jailed for stabbing driver 34 times - Dec 19, 2011
- Three kids die in Siberian building collapse - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: arkhangelsk, culture education, dg, gay laws, gay parades, kostroma, march 17, mixed reactions, paedophilia, propaganda, regional committee, ria novosti, russian regions, russians, ryazan, sentiment, siberia, st petersburg, transgender, us state department