Anti-gay comments in UK can now land you with a seven year prison termNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:53 am ICT by admin
London, Oct.9 (ANI): Laws to protect gays in the United Kingdom just got tougher. Now, if anyone is caught making a comment against gays, he or she could land themselves in prison for seven years.
A new law announced on Monday has invited the ire of Christian groups, who condemned it as “a law to allow Christians to be locked up for what they believe”.
But the gay pressure group Stonewall said those who disapprove of homosexuals would have nothing to fear from the law if they express their views in a manner that is “temperate” and “polite”.
Justice Secretary Jack Straw told MPs the gay harassment law will be included as an amendment to the Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill currently going before Parliament, though ministers have yet to decide the wording.
“It is a measure of how far we have come as a society in the last ten years that we are now appalled by hatred and invective directed at people on the basis of their sexuality. It is time for the law to recognise this,” the Daily Mail quoted Straw, as saying.
He also raised the prospect of extending the law to cover to “transgendered” people and the disabled.
The new law aims to catch those who do not explicitly call for attacks or discrimination against homosexuals, as this is covered by existing incitement laws. Instead, police will be allowed to pursue those who create an “atmosphere or climate” in which hatred or bullying can be fostered. Officials said it would not prohibit criticism of gay, lesbian and bisexual people or joke-telling.
The final decision over who has “crossed the line” will rest with the police. (ANI)
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- Russian gay rights activists arrested under new law - Apr 07, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian city bans homosexual propaganda - Feb 29, 2012
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Anti-gay propaganda bill passed in Siberia - Apr 26, 2012
- Madonna to support Russian gay community - Mar 23, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- GLAAD requests all gay supporters to wear purple on 20th October - Oct 20, 2010
- Teens Who Committed Suicide Honored by Gay Community 'Spirit Day' - Oct 20, 2010
- Nine mn Americans identify themselves as LGBT: Report - Apr 08, 2011
- Gay propaganda banned in Russian city - Mar 11, 2012
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Transgenders hold pride march in New Delhi - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: appalled, christian groups, criminal justice, crossed the line, daily mail, discrimination against homosexuals, final decision, gay, harassment law, hatred, immigration bill, invective, jack straw, locked up, mps, nothing to fear, pressure group, prison term, stonewall, transgendered