Anti-Assad protesters attack Russian embassy in LondonAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad pelted the Russian embassy in London with stones overnight, causing significant damage to the building, the embassy said in a statement Friday.
“On the night of August 16-17, the consulate department of the Russian Embassy in London was attacked by a large group of people who were chanting slogans against the Syrian government and throwing stones at the building hosting the diplomatic mission,” it said.
The building had several window glasses shattered and suffered “significant material damage”, it said. None among the embassy employees was, however, hurt.
Russian diplomats expressed regret over the conduct of London police who they said had arrived at the scene but “failed to take proper measures to neutralise the unsanctioned demonstration which was under way and detain the attackers”.
Earlier this year, supporters of the Syrian opposition splattered paint on the embassy fence, it said, adding that such attacks were violating the principle of immunity of diplomatic missions.
Russia, along with China, has vetoed three Western-backed UN Security Council resolutions against Assad, citing a pro-rebel bias.
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Half of Russia sees foreign meddling in Syria - Jul 28, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia urges West to tone down anti-Syria stance - Mar 16, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- More attacks in Syria after arrival of UN observers: Assad - May 17, 2012
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, diplomatic mission, diplomatic missions, embassy in london, large group, london london, london police, material damage, president bashar, proper measures, ria novosti, russian diplomats, russian embassy in london, security council resolutions, syrian government, syrian opposition, syrian president bashar al, throwing stones, un security council, un security council resolutions