Antarctica warming, study saysJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 5:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 23 (DPA) Antarctica is warming, despite the recent scientific consensus that the southernmost continent was not being impacted by global warming, a study published in the journal Nature said Thursday.Scientists had observed warming in the Antarctic Peninsula that extends north from the icy continent, but the rest of the continent was believed to be stable or even cooling as the rest of the Earth’s continents saw temperatures increase.
But researchers using a complex model combining weather station and satellite data concluded that surface temperatures rose an average of 0.12 degrees Celsius per decade during the last half century, or about 0.5 degrees total.
The western portions of Antarctica had the highest rate of warming, while eastern areas cooled in the last 30 years. Overall, the study found temperatures were rising on average across the continent.
“Everyone knows it has been warming on the Antarctic Peninsula, where there are lots of weather stations collecting data,” climate researcher Eric Steig said in a NASA statement. “Our analysis told us that it is also warming in West Antarctica.”
The study was based on simulations of temperatures to deduce long-term trends from sparsely located weather stations and NASA satellite data since 1981 that filled in the blanks in hard data with projections about the likely trends.
- Antarctica is warming more than previously thought - Jan 22, 2009
- Parts of Antarctica warming up over years - Jan 23, 2009
- 2010 tied for warmest year on record - Jan 13, 2011
- Satellite records Antarctica ice shelf's retreat - Apr 08, 2012
- 2011 - 9th warmest year on record, says NASA - Jan 21, 2012
- How did Antarctic succumb to ice age? - Jun 28, 2011
- Warming Antarctic 'caused by rising Pacific temperatures' - Apr 11, 2011
- Antarctica warming a regional trend, not local - Nov 06, 2009
- Indian scientists traversed shortest path to South Pole - Jan 11, 2011
- 15 distinct regions identified in Antarctica - Jun 14, 2012
- Last Decade Warmest Ever, NASA Study Reveals - Jan 25, 2010
- Earth's lakes are warming, says NASA study - Nov 24, 2010
- Climate changes will be rapid if warming continues - Dec 09, 2011
- Is El Nino causing ice to melt at the South Pole? - Oct 30, 2010
- Global warming curbs won't prevent steep sea rise - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: antarctic peninsula, climate, consensus, continents, dpa, eastern areas, eric steig, global warming, journal nature, nasa, nasa satellite data, researcher, simulations, southernmost continent, surface temperatures, term trends, weather station, weather stations, west antarctica, western portions