Ansari meets Myanmar junta chief, deputyFebruary 6th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravi Shankar
Nay Pyi Taw (Myanmar), Feb.6 (ANI): Visiting Indian Vice President M. Hamid Ansari today called on the Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) in Nay Pyi Taw, capital of Myanmar, on the second day of his tour.
The Vice President described his meeting with Shwe as extremely fruitful and significant during an On Board briefing to the media.
The call on meeting went beyond the scheduled time, and is being seen as a definite indicator of strengthening ties between the two countries,revealed an Indian diplomat.
Ansari said that he had extremely fruitful discussions with his counterpart Vice Chairman of State Peace and Development Council, Vice Senior General Maung Aye.
“We”ve discussed the entire bilateral agenda of cooperation and taken decisions on trade, economic cooperation, power sector and security. We”re looking farward to have more vibrant relationship between the two countries” he added during the onboard briefing to Yangon, on his second leg of tour.
Before leaving for Yangon, the business capital of Myanmar, the Vice President drove past the Parliament building, which is under construction in Nay Pyi Taw.
Vice President Ansari would inaugurate the Myanmar-India Entreneurship Development Centre(MIEDC) at Institute of Economics in the Yangon University later in the day. The centre is being set up with Indian Government assistance to encourage the spirit of entrepreneurship in the country. (ANI)
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- Canadian foreign minister visits Myanmar - Mar 08, 2012
- Clinton arrives in Myanmar for first official visit - Nov 30, 2011
- British foreign secretary visits Myanmar - Jan 05, 2012
- French foreign minister visits Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- British foreign secretary meets Myanmarese president (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Myanmar president meets top UN envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- Vice President Ansari arrives in Myanmar to strengthen bilateral ties - Feb 05, 2009
- India, Myanmar sign MoU on border security cooperation - Jan 22, 2012
- Ansari to go on a four-day visit to Myanmar to strengthen ties - Feb 04, 2009
- Indian Navy chief meets Myanmar president - Aug 26, 2011
- UN to provide $144 mn aid to Myanmar - May 18, 2012
- Myanmar, India step up cooperation in health sector - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: business capital, capital of myanmar, chief deputy, counterpart, economic cooperation, fruitful discussions, government assistance, hamid, indian diplomat, indian government, junta, maung aye, parliament building, power sector, ravi shankar, spdc, state peace, vibrant relationship, vice chairman, yangon university