Another win for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’February 16th, 2009 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 16 (IANS) After winning top honours at the Golden Globes and BAFTA, Oscar favourite “Slumdog Millionaire” has won an award at the Art Directors Guild Awards.
Danny Boyle’s movie was named the Best Contemporary Film at the black-tie ceremony held at Beverly Hills Saturday. Last month the heart-warming tale of a slum boy who went to win a quiz show bagged four Gloden Globes and later it received seven BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards, imdb.com reports.
Now all eyes are set on the Feb 22 Oscar ceremony as “Slumdog Millionaire” has 10 nominations.
“The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button” received Excellence in Production Design for a Period Film, while “The Dark Knight” picked up the Fantasy Film prize at the at the Art Directors Guild Awards.
Honorary awards were also presented to production designer Paul Sylbert for Lifetime Achievement, and to iconic filmmaker George Lucas for Outstanding Contribution to Cinematic Imagery at the Art Directors Guild Awards.
And five production designers were inducted into the ADG Hall of Fame - Ted Haworth, Joseph McMillan Johnson, Romain Johnston, John Meehan and Harold Michelson. Mad Men, Little Britain U.S.A., John Adams and Weeds picked up awards for design excellence in television.
- Slumdog Millionaire named best contemporary film at Art Directors Guild Awards - Feb 16, 2009
- 'The King's Speech' sweeps BAFTA, Rahman loses (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahman gets BAFTA nomination for '127 Hours' music - Jan 18, 2011
- Anil Kapoor thrilled about BAFTA - Feb 08, 2012
- Octavia Spencer wins best supporting actress - Feb 27, 2012
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- India-born film editor Tariq Anwar in Oscar race - Feb 23, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' leads BAFTA nominations - Jan 18, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' star Colin Firth in line for Bafta 'double' - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' bags 11 Bafta nominations - Jan 15, 2009
- AR Rahman on winning two Grammys: "This is insane" - Feb 01, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' out of BAFTA race - Jan 17, 2012
- En route to Oscars, 'Slumdog Millionaire' sweeps BAFTA awards (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Dubai fest expeccted 'The King's Speech' Golden Globe citing - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: art directors guild, art directors guild awards, arts awards, curious case of benjamin button, danny boyle, design excellence, directors guild awards, fantasy film, film prize, filmmaker george lucas, gloden globes, golden globes, honorary awards, john meehan, lifetime achievement, mad men, oscar ceremony, period film, production designers, quiz show