Another Indian American pleads guilty to tax evasionApril 14th, 2011 - 10:32 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 14 (IANS) Another Indian American banking with HSBC India has pleaded guilty to tax evasion days after a New Jersey businessman admitted to conspiring with five HSBC bankers to hide offshore accounts in India.
Josephine Bhasin with an HSBC account worth as much as $8.3 million, according to the prosecution, entered the guilty plea before a magistrate judge in US District Court in New York Wednesday.
Bhasin is the second taxpayer charged in a crackdown focusing on whether HSBC helped clients with Indian accounts hide
assets from the IRS as part of a wider US investigation of banks that attract tax dodgers.
Her case follows the guilty plea by New Jersey businessman Vaibhav Dahake, 44, Monday to keeping his Indian accounts “below the radar” to evade taxes in the United States.
Dahake, who faces a federal prison sentence ranging from 10 to 18 months under the guilty plea is scheduled to be sentenced July 22.
Dahake was doing business with HSBC NRI Services for non-resident Indians, which “encouraged US citizens to open undeclared bank accounts in India,” according to the indictment.
Bhasin and Dahake’s guilty pleas came days after a US judge in California gave permission to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to serve a so-called John Doe summons on HSBC for information about Americans who may have banked in
India to hide accounts from the IRS.
- Indian-American pleads guilty to hiding Indian bank accounts - Apr 12, 2011
- US wants HSBC to reveal American tax dodgers in India - Apr 08, 2011
- U.S. government seeks names of U.S. residents with HSBC India bank accounts to avoid taxes - Apr 08, 2011
- Indian American indicted for concealing bank accounts in India - Jan 27, 2011
- Indian American doctor charged with hiding India accounts - Sep 29, 2011
- We at G20 must tackle tax evasion: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- Indian-American neurosurgeon convicted of tax evasion - Aug 24, 2012
- Spain shelves tax case against banking magnate - May 23, 2012
- Indian national being tried for 'money-laundering' in Jersey - Sep 28, 2010
- India to join new convention to fight black money - Nov 04, 2011
- Ja Rule admits to $3M tax evasion in New Jersey - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian American groups seek relief on foreign bank accounts - Jul 30, 2011
- US rejects Indian-Americans' plea on disclosing offshore accounts - Aug 17, 2011
- Tax evation hits infrastructure development, says court - Aug 10, 2012
- 30-day jail for Indian student Dharun Ravi; no deportation (Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: american banking, bank accounts, bhasin, businessman, crackdown, dodgers, federal prison sentence, guilty plea, guilty pleas, hsbc, indictment, internal revenue service, irs, john doe, josephine, magistrate judge, nri services, offshore accounts, summons, tax evasion