Another bully thrown out of British show ‘Big Brother’June 19th, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 19 (IANS) Controversies have been dogging British TV show “Big Brother” ever since the racism row involving Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty last year. This time, a female bank executive has been shown the door for threatening other contestants. Alexandra De-Gale was removed from the Channel 4 reality show Wednesday for “behaving in an unacceptable and sometimes intimidating manner towards fellow housemates”, The Guardian reported.
In scenes to be shown tonight, the contestant from Croydon in London is seen telling her fellow contestants they would have to face her “gangster friends” for nominating her for eviction.
Britain’s official media regulator Ofcom has already received hundreds of complaints about this year’s series, the majority of them involving De-Gale’s behaviour.
Ofcom has adopted a no-nonsense attitude towards the reality show ever since British TV presenter Jade Goody was accused of racist bullying of Shetty, leading to record complaints for the celebrity version of “Big Brother” in 2007.
“Alex’s comments will be widely interpreted as having been intended to intimidate,” said Angela Jain, the head of “Big Brother” at Channel 4.
“Other housemates have said they found her comments to be threatening and we believe that is a reasonable conclusion,” she added.
Media watchers say the latest incident is once again bound to question the selection process the show’s producers adopt to choose contestants.
- Racism row again hits an Indian on 'Big Brother' - Jul 11, 2012
- Brazilian Big Brother housemate raped on live TV? - Jan 17, 2012
- Big Brother in new racism row over Indian - Jul 10, 2009
- Pregnant wrestler exits 'Bigg Boss 5' - Oct 10, 2011
- Shilpa Shetty type race row back to haunt Big Brother house this year too - Jun 11, 2008
- Katie Price files complaint against TV channel - Dec 10, 2010
- Big Brother in another racism row - Jul 10, 2009
- Alan Sugar turned down Celebrity Big Brother - Dec 23, 2011
- Tinchy Stryder is all set for Celebrity Big Brother - Dec 20, 2011
- Pamela Anderson enters 'Bigg Boss 4' Wednesday - Nov 15, 2010
- Ofcom censures Frankie Boyle's joke about Katie Price's disabled son - Apr 05, 2011
- Want to sort out matter with Thackeray over tea: Begum Nawazish Ali - Oct 23, 2010
- Now, 'Big Brother' for Pamela - Aug 02, 2011
- Sara Khan And Ali Merchant Split: Is It Yet Another Drama? - Dec 23, 2010
- Pamela May Enter 'Big Brother' House As A Celebrity Cougar - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: bank executive, big brother, british tv, brother london, bully, channel 4, controversies, croydon, fellow contestants, gale, gangster, jade goody, nonsense attitude, ofcom, racism row, racist, reality show, selection process, shilpa shetty, tv presenter