Annual Sikh Day ‘free food’ distribution overshadows Queens’ temple tensionsMay 2nd, 2011 - 4:06 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 2 (ANI): Sikh-American generosity on the annual Sikh Day Parade in the Flatiron district of New York overshadowed last week’s violence at a Queens temple by distributing free food and drink to passer bys and giving out the message of peace and equality.
Kulvinder Singh, one of scores of Sikhs, displayed a sign of generosity on Saturday by extending plastic containers of freshly cut fruit to people, and saying: “Take! Have another one!”
Sikhs were giving away plates of freshly prepared Indian vegetable dishes, breads and desserts, along with bottled water, sodas and hot tea, The New York Times reports.
Last week, the Baba Makhan Shah Lubana Sikh Center in the Queens area of New York had witnessed a bloody violent attack that had left seven dead, and several others injured inside the temple.
The latest act of providing ‘langar’, the serving of free meals in Sikh temples, is a contrast to the earlier violence, an indication that Sikh religion believes in equality and tranquillity.
“It’s the same food served to the same people in the same place. Money is never a consideration,” Harpreet Singh Toor, a financial consultant and former president and director of the Sikh Cultural Society in Richmond Hill, the largest Sikh temple in New York, said. (ANI)
- Power struggle led to violent attack in Queens area Sikh temple - Apr 27, 2011
- FBI urged to check hate crimes against Sikh-Americans - Apr 20, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Sikh pray for peace outside violence hit Queens area Sikh temple - May 02, 2011
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting victims remembered at vigils - Aug 08, 2012
- Burger King introduces bacon sundae in the US - Jun 13, 2012
- Amritsar joins pilgrim cities' pledge to go green - Nov 07, 2011
- Chef Vikas Khanna's 'Karma to Nirvana' to premier at NY filmfest - Apr 27, 2011
- India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments - Jan 25, 2012
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- Anti-Sikh riot victims to protest in Delhi - Nov 09, 2010
- Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remark - Jan 25, 2012
- Gurdwara chief, priests among US shooting victims - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: american generosity, bottled water, bys, financial consultant, flatiron district, free food distribution, free meals, hot tea, new york times, place money, plastic containers, queens area, richmond hill, sikh temple, sikh temples, sikhs, sodas, toor, vegetable dishes, violent attack