Annie Lennox: I””m not anti-IsraeliJanuary 9th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Jan 9 (ANI): Scottish singer-songwriter Annie Lennox has posted a message on her Facebook site, claiming that she is not an anti-Israeli.
The Eurythmics star participated in an anti-Israeli rally in London on January 3 slamming Israel”’’s actions in the Gaza Strip.
Responding to those calling her stand as betrayal, Lennox posted a comment entitled “Annie”’’s Second Official Statement regarding the Situation in Gaza.
“I am not anti-Israeli nor have I ever been, and for anyone to say that I am is profoundly offensive and completely wrong, The Jerusalem Post quoted her as saying in the post.
She wrote: “The reason why I spoke out when I did was because at that point in time there was a tiny window of opportunity to prevent a blood bath on both sides before the ground troops went in. I have never condoned suicide bombings, or the firing of missiles into Israel. I repeat… The slaughter of innocent lives on both sides is abhorrent.”
Her comment came in the wake of a number of angry postings on her Facebook site, one of which said that she picked a fine way to make a “fading career relevant.”
Lennox”’’s first greatest hits compilation, The Annie Lennox Collection, is scheduled to be released in March.
Another posting on Lennox”’’s facebook site read: “Where were you all this time as Israel has been bombarded by missiles over and over again. A continuous rain of attacks, we have lived in a constant state of alert, living in fear.
We waited and waited and did nothing and now when we finally - finally - take a stand to defend ourselves are we treated like a terrorist nation. Unfortunately you were clearly oblivious to these events all this time. You have proven your ignorance and are standing on your soapbox without your facts.” (ANI)
- Israel to deploy anti-missile system - Feb 20, 2012
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israeli military condemns Brit activists for revealing its 'war criminal' soldiers on website - Nov 20, 2010
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- DWTS: Vote For Your Favorite Contestant On Abc.com - Nov 17, 2010
- Israel won't apologize for defending itself, says Netanyahu - Jun 03, 2010
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- US to give $680 mn for Israel's anti-missile system - May 14, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Annie Lennox honoured for charity work in Africa - Dec 31, 2010
- Palin slams Obama for interfering in Israeli 'zoning issue' following terror attack in Jerusalem - Mar 25, 2011
- IOC chief dismisses Iran claim that London Olympics logo is racist - Mar 02, 2011
- Gomez thanks fans for support - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: annie lennox, betrayal, blood bath, continuous rain, eurythmics, facebook, first greatest hits compilation, gaza strip, ground troops, innocent lives, jerusalem post, living in fear, missiles, point in time, scottish singer, singer songwriter, soapbox, suicide bombings, tiny window, window of opportunity