Annan’s exit may bring forceful action in Syria: RussiaAugust 3rd, 2012 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The resignation of UN and Arab League envoy to Syria Kofi Annan “opens the gates” for those backing a military intervention into the country to force out the ruling authorities, a Russian minister has said.
Annan, who assumed his post in February and authored a six-point peace plan aimed at ending the Syrian conflict, announced Thursday that he would quit by the end of the month, citing the deadlock at the UN Security Council over ways to resolve the current political crisis in the country.
“Annan’s decision against extending his mandate as the UN envoy to Syria raises loads of questions regarding the future of this country. He is an honest international mediator but someone wants to push him out of the game to open the gates for forceful actions. This is obvious,” Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov wrote in his Twitter account Friday.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives, according to estimates by Syrian opposition groups.
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Al Qaeda behind Syrian blasts, says Russia - May 14, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- UNSC adopts plan to send observers to Syria - Apr 15, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia proposes deadline to stop Syria violence - Aug 17, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: arab league, deadlock, forceful action, foreign minister, gates, gennady, international mediator, kofi annan, mandate, military intervention, opposition groups, point peace plan, political crisis, resignation, ria novosti, russia moscow, russian minister, syria, syrian opposition, un security council