Annan asks UNSC to speak in one voice over SyriaMarch 17th, 2012 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, March 17 (IANS) Kofi Annan, the joint special envoy of the UN and the Arab League on the Syrian crisis, said Friday that he has urged the UN Security Council to exhibit unity in its attempt to put an end to Syrian violence and political crisis.
The former UN secretary-general’s statement came as he addressed the press after briefing the UN Security Council here via video conference as it met on the Middle East Friday, Xinhua reported.
“I shared with them the consultations I held in the region and the calls I have been making around the world to ensure that there is strong support for the mission and we all agree on one mediation process,” said Annan. “And I encouraged the Council to speak with one voice as we try to resolve the crisis in Syria.”
According to the special envoy, the council showed “very strong support” for his mission and that council members seemed determined to work together.
“There have been some differences but that is also normal, and I hope pretty soon you will be hearing one voice from the council,” he said.
Shortly after Annan briefed the 15-nation Security Council, Syria said that Damascus will work hard to make Annan’s mediation mission “successful.”
Annan arrived in the Syrian capital March 10 and held talks with President Bashar al-Assad and Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem as well as members of the Syrian opposition, and individuals from civil society and business and religious communities.
Annan has offered proposals to Assad and the Syrian government on several important points.
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Syria appreciates BRICS stand on sovereignty - Mar 30, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Brazil, South Africa mount pressure on Syria - Aug 11, 2011
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: arab league, bashar al assad, council members, damascus, foreign minister, kofi annan, march 17, mediation process, political crisis, president bashar, religious communities, syrian capital, syrian government, syrian opposition, un secretary general, un security council, united nations march, video conference, walid, xinhua