Annan admits failure of Syrian peace missionJuly 8th, 2012 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Kofi Annan, the joint UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, has admitted his failure in solving Syrian crisis, according to a French daily.
“We have made significant efforts to resolve this situation by peaceful political methods. Obviously, we have not succeeded. And there is no guarantee that we will succeed,” Annan said in an interview with Le Monde.
Annan’s comment comes four months after the implementation of his six-point peace which was followed by a deadly massacre in the village of Houla, as well as numerous attacks in Damascus and other Syrian regions.
The idea of establishing Syrian interim government, proposed by Annan, was also rejected by Syrian opposition activists who said they would not negotiate with President Bashar Al-Assad’s government .
Annan also said that despite Russia’s influence on the decisions, made by international community towards Syria, he was not sure “Russia would determine the situation around Syria”.
Russia along with China has twice vetoed UN resolutions against Damascus over what it says is a pro-rebel bias, at the same time backing Annan’s failed peace plan for Syria.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a London-based organisation with a network of activists in Syria, reported Saturday that the toll in the violence-hit country reached 17,000 over the last 16 months since the beginning of a revolt against President Al-Assad.
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- More attacks in Syria after arrival of UN observers: Assad - May 17, 2012
- Syria crisis should be resolved constitutionally: Putin - Jun 20, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: arab league, bashar al assad, bias, damascus, four months, houla, interim government, kofi annan, moscow, observatory, opposition activists, peace mission, peace plan, president bashar, revolt, ria novosti, six point, syrian opposition, syrian peace, un resolutions