Anna Chapman spy ring ‘traitor’ charged with treasonMay 4th, 2011 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 4 (ANI): A Russian spy who betrayed agent Anna Chapman and nine others has been charged with treason and desertion.
Alexander Poteyev, the second-in-command of Russia’s clandestine operations in the US, had betrayed the 10 Russian sleeper agents in 2010.
Poteyev tipped about the agents after which they were arrested in the US in June 2010 on suspicion of espionage and were returned to Russia in an extraordinary, Cold War-style spy swap.
“The Federal Security Service (FSB) investigation department has completed an investigation into the case to charge Russian national Alexander Poteyev with committing high treason by divulging state secrets,” the New York Post quoted a report of the FSB statement. (ANI)
- Former Russian spy sentenced 25 years for helping U.S. - Jun 28, 2011
- Former Russian spies wanted kids to become same: WSJ - Jul 27, 2012
- FBI releases footage of Russian spies - Nov 01, 2011
- Anna Chapman becomes editor of Russian paper - Jun 02, 2011
- Anna Chapman's Traitor, Colonel Scherbakov, Being Hunted By Russia - Nov 12, 2010
- Russian scientist in 'spy swap' flown to Vienna (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- 'Spy' most popular among Russians on Facebook - Jul 14, 2010
- Two deported Russian spies file property claim against U.S. - Mar 28, 2011
- Russian spies awarded top Kremlin honours - Oct 19, 2010
- UK probe to check sexy Russian spy's possible 'sleeper cell' - Jul 05, 2010
- Sexy Russian spy Anna Chapman says she was proud to be British - Apr 16, 2011
- Former Russian spy Chapman begins political career - Dec 24, 2010
- Spy swap talk grows (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2010
- US, Russia agree on possible 'spy swap deal' - Jul 08, 2010
- Russia to retaliate for diplomat's expulsion from Ireland - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: alexander, chapman, clandestine operations, cold war, desertion, espionage, federal security service, fsb, high treason, investigation department, new york post, russia, russian spy, sleeper agents, spy ring, state secrets, suspicion, traitor