Anna Chapman becomes editor of Russian paperJune 2nd, 2011 - 11:20 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Former Russian spy Anna Chapman, who was detained for espionage and deported from the US, has been appointed editor-in-chief of a “small” newspaper in Russia.
In a statement published on the website of the Venture Business News newspaper, Chapman promised to “significantly increase” the circulation and improve multimedia and overall content of the newspaper.
“I’ve become the chief editor. It’s a small newspaper,” Chapman said, admitting she has no plans yet about her future job.
As editor-in-chief, Chapman will be in charge of a new column “Field News” that would discuss major events in the venture and investment business in Russia and abroad.
The former spy said she would like to head the newspaper to “promote a positive image of young entrepreneurs, innovators, and technological business managers”.
Chapman and 10 other Russians were arrested in the US in June 2010 on suspicion of espionage. In July, they were sent back to Russia in exchange for four men accused by Moscow of spying for foreign intelligence services in Russia.
Chapman had earlier become an advisor for Fondservicebank President Alexander Volovnik. She also joined the Public Council of Young Guard youth movement of the United Russia party.
Later, she became a TV host of REN TV’s “World Mysteries with Anna Chapman” show.
- Former Russian spy Chapman moves court over video - Jul 29, 2011
- Former Russian spies wanted kids to become same: WSJ - Jul 27, 2012
- Germany detains Russian couple on spying charge - Oct 22, 2011
- 'Spy' most popular among Russians on Facebook - Jul 14, 2010
- Russian spy's belongings on display in US - May 18, 2012
- When ex-Russian spy catwalked at Moscow Fashion Week - Apr 06, 2011
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Russian newsreader fired for giving Obama the finger - Nov 25, 2011
- Russian ex-army officer jailed for spying - Dec 08, 2011
- Three Russian journalists detained in Kazakhstan - Dec 19, 2011
- Russian spy Anna Chapman makes debut as TV presenter - Jan 22, 2011
- Muslim woman sentenced in Russia over extremist article - Sep 13, 2012
- Medvedev shows concern over Russian brain drain - Apr 26, 2011
- Bomb scare at RIA Novosti office - Sep 15, 2011
- Muslim lawyer pledges to 'cover Russia in blood' - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,