Anil Ambani close to deal with Spielberg’s studioJune 18th, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 18 (IANS) The Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group is close to clinching a deal with the Steven Spielberg-founded Hollywood studio DreamWorks to invest $500-600 million towards equity, a leading business paper has said. The Wall Street Journal reported that the cash from the Indian group would allow Spielberg and his associates to end their existing pact with Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom’s Sumner Redstone.
The agreement is expected to result in a new company that will make six-seven movies every year and give Ambani a foothold in Hollywood, which his group is strongly seeking, the paper reported.
“I would not like to comment on this,” an official with Reliance’s entertainment division told IANS from Mumbai, when asked about the reported talks.
Ambani’s Reliance BIG Entertainment had announced in Cannes last month it would make a major foray into Hollywood and fund production houses run by actors like Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Nicolas Cage, Jim Carrey and George Clooney.
This marked the biggest foray of an Indian entity in Hollywood’s motion picture industry. Thirty films are likely to emanate from Reliance’s co-financing and 10 will go into production, company officials had said.
- Anil Ambani group close to deal with Spielberg's studio (Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- Anil Ambani Group in new venture for acclaimed global scriptwriters - Dec 14, 2010
- Reliance BIG Entertainment, Brad Pitt acquire 'The Imperfectionists' (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Spielberg-Clooney-Roberts come to Bollywood - Jul 17, 2009
- Reliance Big in venture for acclaimed global scriptwriters (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Anil Ambani, Spielberg announce $825 mn funding for Dreamworks - Jul 15, 2009
- BBC, Reliance Big in movie co-production deal - Nov 02, 2010
- Bollywood shining with a little help from Hollywood - Aug 18, 2009
- Reliance Big, Tom Hanks in new entertainment venture - Oct 01, 2010
- Anil Ambani group, Spielberg to set up $1.5 billion studio (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- Anil Ambani group to inject $550 mn for studio with Spielberg (Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- Anil Ambani, Spielberg secure $825 mn for DreamWorks - Aug 18, 2009
- Viacom18 to distribute Paramount movies in India - May 18, 2011
- Dreamworks deal with Reliance Group may boost Bollywood in Hollywood - Jul 17, 2009
Tags: business paper, company officials, dreamworks, entertainment division, foothold, foray, george clooney, hollywood studio, indian group, jim carrey, nicolas cage, paramount pictures, production houses, reliance anil dhirubhai ambani group, s entertainment, steven spielberg, sumner redstone, tom hanks, viacom, wall street journal