Angry India moves to patent yoga posesFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.23 (ANI): India has set up a team of Hindu gurus and 200 scientists to identify all ancient yoga positions or asanas and register each one to stop “patent pirates” from stealing its “traditional knowledge”. So far, they have added 600 asanas to India’’s Traditional Knowledge Digital Library to stop so-called gurus in the United States and Europe patenting established poses as their own, reports The Telegraph.
Attempts by mostly American yoga teachers to patent yoga moves from their classes as their own originals has angered India.
Since its arrival in Britain and America in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when it was popularised by Beatles guitarist George Harrison, among others, Yoga has become a 225 billion dollar industry.
In India, however, it remains collective knowledge practiced in public parks where gurus often teach fast breathing exercises, like pranayam, and different ‘’sun-salutations,” free of charge.
But as the number of Western yoga teachers has grown, there has been a steady increase in patent applications claiming each pose in their class is not part of the ancient discipline of mind and body, but their own unique invention.
In the United States alone, there have been more than 130 yoga-related patents, 150 copyrights and 2,300 trademarks.
Now India’’s Traditional Knowledge Digital Library is being made available to patents offices throughout the world so they can establish whether the claim is a genuine innovation or “prior art” from Indian systems of medicine.
So far a team of yoga gurus from nine schools have worked with government officials and 200 scientists from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to scan 35 ancient texts including the Hindu epics, the Mahabharata and the Bhagwad Gita, and Patanjali’’s Yoga Sutras to register each native pose. (ANI)
- Indian government's efforts to safeguard yoga from fake patents - Jun 08, 2010
- India ropes in US, UK to protect traditional knowledge - Apr 26, 2010
- India, Japan sign TKDL access agreement - Apr 20, 2011
- Yoga 2011 calendars depict cats, dogs and nudes performing asanas - Dec 30, 2010
- Seminar on prevention of bio-piracy begins Tuesday - Mar 21, 2011
- India wins patent dispute against China for flu medicine - Aug 06, 2010
- Hindus welcome endorsement of yoga in a Catholic publication - Aug 23, 2010
- Hindus upset over Playboy's usage of yoga as erotica - Oct 21, 2010
- International conference on utilization of TKDL kicks off tomorrow - Mar 21, 2011
- Hindu leader attacks Playboy over naked yoga video - Oct 22, 2010
- There is "Jewish Yoga" in America - Jan 31, 2011
- Many Christian churches in USA offer yoga - Nov 28, 2010
- The Catholic experiment to make yoga popular - Oct 17, 2011
- Lady Gaga spent time at a Cleveland yoga studio before her sold-out performance - Jul 25, 2010
- Yoga becoming lifestyle trend in urban Nepal - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: ancient discipline, ancient texts, ancient yoga, asanas, bhagwad gita, breathing exercises, collective knowledge, genuine innovation, hindu epics, hindu gurus, india moves, mahabharata, nine schools, patanjali, patent applications, patents offices, traditional knowledge, yoga moves, yoga positions, yoga teachers