‘Angelina Jolie Temple’ in world-famous Angkor temple complex in Cambodia?November 24th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Nov 24 (ANI): Is there is an ‘Angelina Jolie Temple’ in Cambodia’s UNESCO World Heritage Site Angkor temple complex after the name of the Hollywood star?
Yes, that is what 12th century “Ta Prohm”, the highly visited and most photographed temple site in Angkor, is popularly called these days. It is otherwise known as “Old Brahma” and was initially named “Rajavihara” (royal monastery).
It was said to be the setting for various scenes in the first “Tomb Raider” (Simon West) films, in which Jolie played the fantasy character Lara Croft. Jolie also reportedly adopted a child from the Siem Reap province in which this temple complex is located. Some restaurants even sell “Tomb Raider cocktail’ (Cointreau, lime and soda) in this province after Jolie’s choice drink. She appears to be the “patron saint” of Cambodia.
Prominent Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, urged Jolie to raise awareness about better preservation of this world heritage as more needed to be done to safeguard the temple complex and its surroundings and deteriorating bas-reliefs; save it from vandalism and looting; put some controls on unchecked tourism; check the demand for water table which could undermine the stability of sandy soils under the temples.
Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, also urged UNESCO World Heritage Convention and Cambodia government to provide more funding for the upkeep of the temple complex and spend more than half the ticket revenue on the temples.
Angkor Archaeological Park contains magnificent remains of over 1000 temples going back to ninth century, spread over about 400 square kilometers and receives about three million visitors annually. (ANI)
- Old Brahma temple named after Jolie - Nov 25, 2010
- China finances restoration of historic Shiva temple in Cambodia - Nov 29, 2010
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Hindus want disputed Thai-Cambodia Hindu Shiva temple be transferred to UN control - Feb 06, 2011
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- President Patil mesmerized by Angkor Wat, advocates cultural exchange - Sep 17, 2010
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Hindus ask UNESCO intervention to save ancient Hindu temples from lava in Indonesia - Jan 19, 2011
- UNESCO names Special Envoy to damaged Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border - Feb 12, 2011
- Indian scientists help save 131 trees in Cambodian temple (With images) - Jul 16, 2012
- Six Hindu temples nominated for World Heritage List - Dec 18, 2010
- Go shrine seeing, prison strolling in Cambodia - Sep 13, 2011
- Foundation laid for Angkor Wat-replica in Bihar - Jun 21, 2012
- Zed appeals for more funding for upkeep of Thanjavur Temple on its 1000th birthday - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: angelina jolie, angkor temple, archaeological park, bas reliefs, cambodia government, fantasy character, hindu statesman, hollywood star, patron saint, royal monastery, sandy soils, square kilometers, ticket revenue, unesco world heritage, unesco world heritage site, universal society, usa today, west films, world heritage convention, world heritage site