Angelina Jolie movie criticised in SerbiaJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 3:06 am ICT by IANS
Belgrade, Jan 22 (IANS/AKI) Angelina Jolie’s directorial debut about a love story between a Serbian policeman and his rape victim has met with sharp criticism among Bosnian Serbs who said the work was biased and anti-Serb.
The movie “In the Land of Blood and Honey” set during the 1992-95 Balkan war has received critical acclaim in the US.
The film is slated to be premiered in Serbia and the Serb-populated part of Bosnia in May, and Jolie has said she would like to attend the screening.
Authorities have turned down a request by some war veterans’ organisations to ban the film.
Jolie — who is a goodwill ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees — has also been exposed to a barrage of criticism from the press and calls for a boycott to “show her she isn’t welcome” in the country.
Serbian websites have been flooded with pictures allegedly showing Jolie in pornographic acts before she became a celebrity. The pictures are reportedly accompanied with comments like “once a prostitute - always a prostitute”.
Internationally acclaimed Serbian film director Emir Kusturica has declined to comment on Jolie’s film, calling her a “propagandist” not a filmmaker.
- Angelina Jolie to shoot film on Bosnian war - Jul 14, 2010
- Serbians find Jolie's war film 'racist' - Dec 14, 2011
- Remains of 11 people found near Serbia-Bosnia border - Sep 14, 2010
- Jolie receives threats over directorial debut - Feb 16, 2012
- Bosnia war witness says paramilitary raped Muslims - Sep 07, 2012
- Bosnia war could have been avoided: Karadzic - Dec 29, 2009
- Serbia war crimes suspect Mladic may have been held - May 26, 2011
- 100 skeletons found in lake bordering Serbia, Bosnia - Oct 27, 2010
- Karadzic denies genocide charges in Bosnia - Jun 12, 2012
- Yugoslavia's last PM is dead - Nov 28, 2011
- Ratko Mladic transferred from prison hospital to cell - Jun 06, 2011
- Brangelina make out on set of Jolie's directorial debut - Oct 16, 2010
- Bosnian Serb leader's trial set to resume - Sep 04, 2010
- Mladic arrives in The Hague to face war crimes charges - Jun 01, 2011
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: angelina jolie, balkan war, barrage, belgrade, blood and honey, critical acclaim, criticised, directorial debut, film director, filmmaker, goodwill ambassador, kusturica, love story, pornographic acts, propagandist, rape victim, serbian policeman, serbs, un high commissioner for refugees, war veterans