Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrsFebruary 12th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 12 (ANI): A self-portrait of Andy Warhol, which is expected to fetch 5 million pounds in auction, has been displayed for the first time in more than 30 years.
The 6ft-square work has been in a private collection since 1974 but is to be auctioned at Christie’s in London next week, reports the Daily Mail.
The rediscovered Warhol - his face half in shadow and with his fingers placed pensively to his mouth - was painted in 1967 and will be on display until it is sold at the Post-War and Contemporary Art sale which takes place on Wednesday.
Also being exhibited before the sale are works by Jeff Koons, Damien Hirst and Basquiat.
Together the art being sold - which includes a Warhol portrait of Mick Jagger - is expected to fetch more than 50 million pounds.(ANI)
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait sells for $17 million - Feb 17, 2011
- Dennis Hopper artwork expected to fetch $13m at auction - Sep 22, 2010
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Asian buyers start appearing on Christie's radar - Nov 16, 2010
- Dennis Hopper's art fetches $10mn at auction - Nov 15, 2010
- Bring a slice of Rodin's legacy home - for Rs.6 lakh - Feb 02, 2011
- Mick Jagger's Ex Jerry Hall Auctions Artwork - Sep 08, 2010
- Pink Panther sculpture expected to sell for $30m - Mar 12, 2011
- Picasso masterpiece auctioned in Britain - Jun 24, 2010
- Jerry Hall to sell nude Lucian Freud portrait to put Jagger past to rest - Sep 06, 2010
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- MJ's 1984 Andy Warhol portrait sells at auction - Aug 21, 2009
- Souza's archival works yield windfall for Christie's - Jun 10, 2010
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: 5 million, 50 million pounds, andy warhol, andy warhol self portrait, auction, basquiat, christie, contemporary art, daily mail, damien hirst, fingers, half in shadow, jeff koons, london feb, mick jagger, post war, private collection, self portrait of andy warhol