Andhra to have special force on lines of NSGNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 29 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh government Saturday decided to form a special force on the lines of the elite National Security Guards (NSG) to deal with terrorist attacks.It also decided to raise marine security force to guard its nearly 1,000 km long coastline.
The state cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, took these decisions against the backdrop of terrorist attacks in Mumbai, which claimed at least 183 lives.
The proposed force, State Security Guards (SSG), would get training on a par with the NSG. The personnel of Greyhounds, the state’s elite anti-Maoist force, and the Organisation to Counter Terrorist Operations (OCTOPUS), will also be provided similar training.
Officials said the chief minister reviwed the security situation and directed that an action plan be prepared to foil Mumbai-type attacks.
Since the terrorists reached Mumbai by sea route, the chief minister said the security along the Andhra Pradesh coast should be stepped up.
The cabinet condemned the terror attacks in Mumbai and hailed the security forces including NSG for eliminating the terrorists.
It observed a two-minute silence as a mark of respect towards policemen and NSG commandos, who laid down their lives while fighting terrorists.
- Andhra anti-terror force Octopus gets its headquarters - Aug 13, 2012
- NSG regional hub inaugurated in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2011
- Goa Police commandos to be trained by navy - May 07, 2011
- Andhra calls for steps to prevent regrouping of Maoists - Feb 01, 2011
- Andhra on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Hyderabad to get special force to fight terror - Dec 02, 2008
- Israeli ambassador meets Andhra police chief - Dec 05, 2011
- Chidambaram asks Andhra to keep up pressure on Maoists - Mar 06, 2009
- Greyhound academy to train Goa police team - Jul 17, 2010
- Hyderabad gets anti-terror hub, to have training centre too (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- Andhra Pradesh extends ban on CPI-Maoist, its outfits - Sep 20, 2010
- Hyderabad gets NSG hub, to have training centre too (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- Chidambaram inaugurates NSG hub in Mumbai - Feb 23, 2012
- NSG gets land outside Kolkata for eastern hub - Sep 17, 2011
- Collaborate with us, Maharashtra urges US homeland security secretary (With image) - May 24, 2011