Ancient statue in Italian premier’s office repairedNovember 19th, 2010 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 19 (IANS/AKI) Italy’s premier Silvio Berlusconi ordered controversial repairs to a 2nd century AD marble statue at his Rome office, which included adding a new penis.
Critics say the repairs, which cost Italian taxpayers 70,000 euros, amount to “aesthetic surgery and alter the authenticity of the work”.
Restorers replaced the long-lost penis of ancient Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, who is portrayed in the priceless statue as the god of war, Mars, and replaced his missing right hand.
The restorers also replaced the missing right hand and nose of the emperor’s wife Faustina the Younger, who is portrayed as Venus, the goddess of love.
The statue has been placed against a ‘kitsch’ blue backdrop, at the request of the architect who oversaw the work, Mario Catalano, according to Italian daily La Repubblica.
Catalano hit back at criticism that he had ignored traditional restoration techniques. The statue’s restoration was fully authorised and body parts were “removable”, he said.
The costly repairs were carried out as the government planned to cut Italy culture budget for 2011 by 46 percent, La Repubblica noted.
Opposition centre-left Democratic Party MP Manuela Ghizzoni described the restoration of the 175 AD statue as “aesthetic surgery”.
“This is real aesthetic surgery carried out at prime minister’s personal whim,” Ghizzoni stated. She asked Italy’s culture minister Sandro Bondi to report on the case.
Berlusconi sparked earlier controversy when he moved the 1,400 kg statue from Rome’s Terme di Diocleziano museum to his office at the 17th-century Palazzo Chigi.
Berlusconi is currently embroiled in several new sex scandals involving a prostitute and a teenage nightclub dancer who says she attended after-dinner sex games at his villa in Arcore, near Milan. He was earlier linked to a teenage underwear model and another prostitute.
The 74-year-old premier has decried what he calls “indecent attacks” against him.
- Berlusconi angers art restorers by replacing body parts on statues - Nov 20, 2010
- Berlusconi lawyers say new 'bunga bunga' claims are false - Apr 14, 2011
- Berlusconi aide to act in porn movie - Aug 20, 2012
- Berlusconi calls for sobriety - Nov 24, 2010
- Fugitive in Berlusconi sex scandal arrested - Apr 16, 2012
- Berlusconi to release his song album Tuesday - Nov 20, 2011
- Mismanagement caused Pompeii disaster: Italian minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Berlusconi highest-earning politician in Italy - Mar 20, 2012
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- Italian held on suspicion of extorting money from Berlusconi - Sep 01, 2011
- Ruby the heart stealer gives birth to girl - Dec 21, 2011
- Dinner parties turned into the unspeakable: Berlusconi - Oct 22, 2011
- Berlusconi makes first public appearance after facial surgery - Mar 10, 2011
- Rapper says Berlusconi stole lyrics - Feb 23, 2012
- Teenaged dancer asked Berlusconi for 5 mn euros for her silence - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: aesthetic surgery, costly repairs, emperor marcus aurelius, italy culture, la repubblica, marble statue, mario catalano, palazzo chigi, personal whim, priceless statue, roman emperor marcus, rome office, sandro bondi, sex scandals, silvio berlusconi, teenage underwear, terme di diocleziano, traditional restoration techniques, underwear model, wife faustina