ANC calls for media to stop speculating about Mandela’s healthJanuary 27th, 2011 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, Jan 27 (ANI): The African National Congress (ANC) has asked the media to stop speculating about former president Nelson Mandela’s health and give the family some privacy.
“We appeal, particularly to the media fraternity to refrain from making unfounded and unwarranted speculation in relation to Madiba’s health,” News 24 quoted ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu as saying.
“In the same vein we also request the media, in particular, to give Madiba’s family and the hospital the necessary privacy,” he said.
Mthembu said South Africans would be informed of any change, including his discharge from Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg.
Mandela was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday afternoon for what the Nelson Mandela Foundation described as “routine tests”.
The Foundation, Madiba’s family and all officials close to the elderly statesman have been mum on details about his health - sparking speculations on social networks about the legendary politician’s condition.
“It is a well-known fact that Madiba is 92-years-old and no longer a young man,” Mthembu said.
“As South Africans, let us all allow doctors at the hospital to do their best in conducting tests on our elder statesman,” he added. (ANI)
- ANC slams Nelson Mandela twitter 'death' hoax - Jan 17, 2011
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- No need to panic over Mandela's health, says government - Jan 28, 2011
- Nelson Mandela hospitalized for 'routine tests' - Jan 27, 2011
- Rumours of Mandela's death condemned - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Mandela hail and hearty' - Jan 31, 2011
- Nelson Mandela 'alive and kicking', says SA's acting president - Jan 28, 2011
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Former President Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital - Jan 28, 2011
- Nelson Mandela hospitalised after stomach complaint (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- Nelson Mandela returns home, 'breathing on his own' - Jan 29, 2011
- Mandela discharged from hospital - Feb 26, 2012
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: african national congress, anc, elder statesman, former president, fraternity, health news, johannesburg, nelson mandela, nelson mandela foundation, news 24, politician, president nelson mandela, routine tests, social networks, south africans, speculation, speculations, spokesperson, wednesday afternoon, young man