Anarchists planning to disrupt UK royal weddingApril 24th, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 24 (ANI): UK Uncut, a decentralised protest group established in October 2010 to protest against tax avoidance in Britain, is planning to disrupt peaceful protests against the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, and launch violent attacks in central London.
Police fear that it could be in the line of last month’s massive trade union march against spending cuts, which was attacked by small groups of masked militants in London’s busiest shopping streets, The Telegraph reports.
The group is reportedly planning to dismantle the occasion under the slogan “Reclaim the Royal Wedding”, and urged opponents of the monarchy to join the crowds outside Westminster Abbey and in Parliament Square.
As the ceremony reaches its climax inside the abbey they plan to unveil banners and placards and shout anti-royal slogans, the paper said.
Reclaim the Royal Wedding’s organisers posted messages on Facebook, saying:
“We cannot BE SEEN to condone any individuals or groups who do protest outside Westminster Abbey because protesting in the designated area is unlawful.
John Shepherd, Susan Petal and Ingrid Muller are three of the activists behind the protest.
“The monarchy for centuries has stood as a beacon of the status quo, at the apex of our society it represents and perpetuates the sheer inequality and wealth disparity in British society, and this wedding reinforces that view,” Shepherd, a supporter of the UK Uncut, said.
“We are not ‘all in this together’ and we want to make our voices heard, peacefully,” he added.
Police are receiving intelligence reports on plans to disrupt the wedding on a daily basis, from both covert and open sources, such as social networking sites.
However, they assured “we will try and take a pre-emptive strike against them.” (ANI)
- Brit Muslim cleric warns royal wedding 'prime target' of al-Qaeda, aspiring 'jihadis' - Apr 26, 2011
- British groups plan naked protests during royal wedding - Apr 11, 2011
- Royal wedding security operations dubbed a 'huge success' - Apr 30, 2011
- Three anti-royalists held ahead of Will-Kat wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Dictators in royal wedding guest list invites rights activists' ire - Apr 25, 2011
- Anarchists planning to target royal wedding - Jan 31, 2011
- Many UK royal wedding security steps would not work in US - Apr 22, 2011
- Anarchists plotting to ruin Wills-Kate royal wedding - Jan 31, 2011
- Muslim group threatens to disrupt William's wedding - Mar 29, 2011
- Nepal revels in British royal wedding - Apr 30, 2011
- Muslim fanatics plan to turn UK royal wedding into 'nightmare' - Apr 20, 2011
- Elton John admires Kate Middleton - Apr 27, 2011
- Fans camp at Westminster Abbey for Royal Wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Wills-Kate 'to snub celebs expecting Royal wedding invite' - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: daily basis, facebook, ingrid muller, intelligence reports, john shepherd, kate middleton, parliament square, peaceful protests, police fear, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, protest group, royal wedding, social networking sites, tax avoidance, violent attacks, wealth disparity, westminster abbey, william and kate