Anand to defend chess title at LeonMay 30th, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by admin
Leon (Spain), May 30 (IANS) Current World Champion and No. 1 Viswanathan Anand will take on local star Francisco Vallejo Pons in the first of the two semi-finals Saturday in the Ciudad de Leon chess Tournament. Seven times winner in Leon, Anand is the favourite for the title, which he has won on last three occasions from 2005 to 2007. His other wins here came in 1996, 1999, 2000 and 2001. He has won the title six times in the last nine editions.
The second semi-final will feature former World championship runner-up Alexei Shirov and Vassily Ivanchuk, who is currently the World No. 2 in rankings.
The games will have live comments of Grandmasters Miguel Illescas and Michael Rahal who will provide entertaining and high quality technical comments.
This year the tournament will have still more excitement - it will be very fast, only 20 minutes plus 10 seconds after each move for all the game. A tie-break with blitz games of five minutes will be played in case of a tie.
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- Anand draws again, Negi and Hari share Best Game prize - Jan 24, 2010
- Anand blitzes his way to Leon chess final - May 31, 2008
- Corus chess: Anand draws again, Abhijeet wins 11th round - Jan 30, 2010
- Ninth successive draw for Anand, Negi scores a win - Jan 27, 2010
- Anand held for third time; Abhijit, Hari win - Jan 19, 2010
- Hari wins second game in row, Anand, Negi draw again - Jan 20, 2010
- Negi wins Best Game prize in Corus fifth round - Jan 22, 2010
- Anand meets Karjakin in Corus Chess first round - Jan 16, 2010
- Anand, Negi held as all five Indians draw their games - Jan 18, 2010
- Anand crowned World Chess Champion for fifth time (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Spoilsport Anand outplays Kramnik, Abhijit second in Group C - Jan 31, 2010
- Jayalalithaa greets Anand - May 31, 2012
Tags: alexei shirov, blitz games, chess, chess tournament, ciudad de leon, five minutes, francisco vallejo, grandmasters, illescas, leon spain, pons, rahal, semi finals, seven times, six times, technical comments, tie break, vassily ivanchuk, viswanathan anand, world champion