Anand faces Moro in fifth round at Amber chessMarch 20th, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by admin
Nice (France), March 20 (IANS) After a day’s rest, Viswanathan Anand will take on Alexander Morozevich in the fifth round of the 17th Melody Amber Blindfold and rapid chess championships here. The Indian Grandmaster, who led the field for the first three rounds, dropped back following a loss to Hungarian Peter Leko in the fourth round.
With 12 players in the fray, there is still a long way to go, but Anand has always been the kind to pile up points early on, especially in rapid, which is his forte, and then build on it.
It is a tightly packed field with three players Vesselin Topalov, Lev Aronian and Vassily Ivanchuk, who celebrated his 37th birthday earlier, sharing the lead at five points each.
Anand has 4.5 points in sole fourth.
Pairings for fifth round: Topalov-Kramnik; Leko-Mamedyarov; Morozevich-Anand; Carlsen-Gelfand; Ivanchuk-Aronian; Van Wely-Karjakin
Standings after four rounds:
Topalov, Aronian and Ivanchuk 5 points each;
Anand 4.5 points;
Leko, Carlsen and Kramnik 4 points each;
Van Wely, Mamedyarov and Karjakin 3.5 points each;
Gelfand and Morozevich 3 points each.
- Anand draws with Carlsen in sixth round; drops to second - Nov 12, 2009
- Anand finishes sixth, Aronian wins Melody Amber title - Mar 28, 2008
- Anand held by Morozevic, placed joint second in Moscow meet - Nov 13, 2009
- Anand beats Leko, joins Kramnik in lead at Tal Memorial chess - Nov 11, 2009
- Anand loses last round, falls to fourth - Nov 15, 2009
- Chance for Anand to move up in Amber Chess - Mar 25, 2008
- Anand loses to Aronian, falls to fourth place - Mar 24, 2008
- Anand loses rapid game, drops out of lead - Mar 19, 2008
- Anand's 1-1 result against keeps him in second place - Mar 23, 2008
- Anand wins rapid game again, stays in joint lead - Mar 17, 2008
- Anand wins one, loses one to Gelfand in Amber chess - Mar 27, 2008
- Anand wins one, loses one, lies second at Amber chess - Mar 21, 2008
- Anand moves into sole lead at Melody Amber - Mar 18, 2008
- Anand loses to Ivanchuk, slips to seventh spot - Mar 26, 2008
- Anand cashes in on luck and class, lies sole second - Mar 22, 2008
Tags: 37th birthday, alexander, alexander morozevich, amber blindfold, chess, chess championships, five points, france march, hungarian, karjakin, melody, nice france, peter leko, rapid chess, van wely, vassily ivanchuk