An SMS is all Aussie kids need to get free condoms!November 14th, 2007 - 2:48 am ICT by admin
The organisation’s acting chief executive Jill Michaelson had said that the disgrace associated with buying condoms from supermarkets and pharmacies among young people still existed.
Statistics showed that about 20 per cent of young people have had unprotected sex.
“A lot of young people are quite self-conscious about buying condoms and some just don’t have the money to do it,” Sydney Morning Herald quoted Michaelson, as saying.
For the services the teenagers have to send their details to 19-SEX-TXT, and they would receive two condoms in a discreet white envelope - just in time for schoolies week.
“We’re coming into a period where young people are finishing school and wanting to have fun, and we want to make sure they have a way of being informed about appropriate sexual practices,” Michaelson said.
“As we know, most teenagers these days use text messaging to communicate, so we felt this was a really good way to get through to that particular demographic,” she said.
Family Planning Queensland spokeswoman Vivienne Wynter commended the initiative and said that it was essential to explore other innovative ways to distribute safe sex messages.
“There are about 20 per cent of young people who are reporting having unprotected sex,” Wynter said.
“The good news is that the vast majority of them are protecting themselves, but there is still a percentage that isn’t always,” she said. (ANI)
- Oz schoolies just have to SMS to get free condoms - Nov 08, 2008
- Unprotected sex 'common among Oz older adults' - Nov 09, 2009
- British parents object to sex lessons for Scouts - Apr 05, 2011
- New NHS video to encourage teen to use condoms branded pornographic - Nov 14, 2010
- 1 in 4 sexually active youngsters in Britain fail to use contraception - Sep 20, 2010
- Teens texting 120 messages a day 'likelier to indulge in sex, drugs, booze' - Nov 10, 2010
- Cambridge U students clueless about unsafe sex? - Nov 05, 2011
- Sex advice on mobiles for teens causes uproar - Dec 10, 2010
- Portman's new role will empower women: Kutcher - Jan 12, 2011
- 50 plus people are most promiscuous - Dec 07, 2010
- Average youngster has 3 sexual partners by age 16: UK study - Sep 26, 2010
- Now, free condoms for 12 year olds to cut teen pregnancies - Aug 06, 2010
- STIs reach record levels with young people especially at risk - Aug 25, 2010
- Over-the-counter morning-after pills 'have not cut teen pregnancies' - Jan 31, 2011
- Sexting teenagers more likely to have sex - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: aussie kids, family planning queensland, finishing school, get free condoms, health campaign, kids need, marie stopes international, safe sex, schoolies week, self conscious, sex messages, sexual health, sexual practices, sms service, sydney morning herald, teenagers, text messaging, unprotected sex, vivienne, wynter