An all-woman affair at CHOGM 2011October 28th, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Perth, Oct 28 (IANS) In a first, the outgoing chair, the incoming chair and the head of the grouping of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) event here are all women.
Outgoing chair, Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Friday handed over charge to incoming chair, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, in the presence of Queen Elizabeth II.
It was quite appropriate at an event which has ‘Women as Agents of Change’ as one of its themes.
Gillard also hosted a panel discussion on ‘Empowering Women to Lead’, a day before the opening of CHOGM Friday.
Persad-Bissessar stressed the all-women character of the change at the top in her address to the biennial gathering of the 54-nation grouping that brought over 50 heads of states and government to this Western Australian city.
Vice President Hamid Ansari heads the Indian delegation to CHOGM 2011.
(Shibi Alex Chandy can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Queen opens CHOGM 2011 - Oct 28, 2011
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, a 'Pravasi Bharatiya' on her way to India - Jan 01, 2012
- Mood sours as CHOGM stalls rights monitor move - Oct 29, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago PM to visit India in January - Dec 18, 2011
- Gift of ancestral village soil awaits Trinidad PM - Jan 09, 2012
- Hasina seventh top world woman leader - Aug 11, 2011
- Return to roots: Trinidad PM to plant saplings in village - Jan 10, 2012
- Ahead of Trinidad polls, Indian-origin politician threatened - May 08, 2010
- India looks to Trinidad for oil, signs 5 pacts - Jan 06, 2012
- India opposes moves against Colombo at Commonwealth meet - Oct 27, 2011
- Emotions flow as Trinidad's 'daughter PM' visits Bihar village (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM to visit ancestral Bihar village - Dec 30, 2011
- Ayurveda centre opens at Indian mission in Trinidad - Jul 30, 2012
- Aussie media lobbies for uranium for India - Oct 29, 2011
- Trinidad PM left 'lifetime' of memories for ancestral village - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: australian prime minister, chandy, chogm, commonwealth heads, elizabeth ii, empowering women, hamid ansari, heads of government, incoming chair, indian delegation, julia gillard, kamla, outgoing chair, panel discussion, persad, perth, prime minister of trinidad and tobago, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, trinidad and tobago