Amy Winehouse’s troubled marriage to endJanuary 13th, 2009 - 4:28 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 13 (DPA) The husband of drug-and alcohol-afflicted British soul singer Amy Winehouse confirmed Monday that he is seeking a divorce from the talented star on the grounds of adultery after a marriage that lasted less than two years.Solicitor Henri Brandman, who is representing 26-year-old Blake Fielder-Civil, said in a statement: “I can confirm that I have been instructed to commence divorce proceedings on the grounds of Amy’s adultery.”
Lawyers for the 25-year-old singer Monday acknowledged receipt of the divorce papers.
The couple, who married in Miami in May 2007, have faced turmoil over Winehouse’s battle with drug addiction and Fielder-Civil’s imprisonment for assault and perverting the course of justice.
Winehouse has over the past week been frolicking on a Caribbean beach holiday with ex-rugby player and actor Joshua Bowman, who is 21.
“I’ve finally escaped from hell. I’m in love again and I don’t need drugs. Look at me, I’m glowing,” Winehouse told Britain’s News of the World newspaper from the holiday island of St. Lucia Sunday.
“I’m off the drugs for good,” she said, accusing Fielder-Civil of looking a “right mess” and of being “rubbish in bed”.
Winehouse, who cut off her trademark beehive hairstyle to underline her internal and external transformation, also said: “I’ll deal with Blake when I get back. But our whole marriage was based on drugs.”
She is best known for her hits “Rehab” and “Back to Black”, for which she scooped up five Grammy awards in February, 2008.
However, her addiction meant that she was in and out of hospitals and rehab clinics for most of the last two years. Her parents have openly blamed their son-in-law for Amy’s troubles.
A year ago, footage obtained by the Sun newspaper showed her allegedly taking crack cocaine.
Fielder-Civil was arrested in November 2007 for beating up a pub landlord and attempting to buy the victim’s silence.
He was sentenced last summer to 27 months in jail but released on bail before Christmas. However, he was sent back to prison after failing a drugs test.
Amy’s father, Mitch, a taxi driver, said in 2007 that she was a “complete opponent” of hard drugs.
“She got up and said she couldn’t understand why people in the music industry took hard drugs and that changed about six months ago when she got married to Blake,” he said.
- Winehouse's ex-hubby collapses on hearing of her death - Jul 25, 2011
- Amy Winehouse to marry ex-husband in Caribbean island - Jan 11, 2010
- Amy Winehouse's posthumous album to be released soon - Aug 01, 2011
- Blake Fielder-Civil planning book on Winheouse ? - Aug 11, 2011
- Fielder-Civil to visit Winehouse's grave for first time - Sep 03, 2012
- Amy Winehouse found dead at London home (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Winehouse's ex-husband desperate to come back - Jun 27, 2010
- Winehouse to get quick divorce from Fielder-Civil - Jul 16, 2009
- Amy Winehouse & Blake Fielder-Civil re-marriage plans are rocked by affair claims - Jan 21, 2010
- Winehouse's earliest song lyrics found in a stash of dumped school books - Dec 28, 2010
- Winehouse's ex arrested for burglary - Mar 02, 2011
- Fielder-Civil 'wants Winehouse to check into rehab before marriage' - Mar 04, 2010
- Dad denies Amy Winehouse, Blake Fielder-Civil 'reunion' stories - Dec 10, 2009
- Winehouse wants ex-husband to enter rehab - May 15, 2010
- Is Blake Fielder-Civil cheating on Amy Winehouse? - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: amy winehouse, blake fielder civil, brandman, caribbean beach holiday, crack cocaine, divorce papers, divorce proceedings, drug addiction, drug and alcohol, grammy awards, holiday island, london jan, news of the world, news of the world newspaper, pub landlord, rehab clinics, rugby player, soul singer, talented star, troubled marriage