Amritsar’s visually impaired take their shirts off to protest lack of employmentJune 7th, 2008 - 12:45 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, June 7 (ANI): Visually impaired people without jobs took their shirts off in a bid to draw attention to their plight during a march in Amritsar.
The visually challenged people resorted to the ‘bare chest protest’ to open the eyes of the authorities to the fact that they were entitled to reservation in jobs.
The protesters alleged that government was deliberately delaying in meeting their rights.
“They are not providing us reservation for last eight to ten years. Even if there are vacancies, no visually impaired person is recruited,” said Jagmeet Singh, a protestor.
The demonstrators threatened to intensify their agitation if their demands were not met.
“We have staged protest by taking off clothes. If need arises we will march to main office, chief minister’s residence and secretariat in Chandigarh.
We would keep fighting for our rights. If then also no heed is paid to our demands, then we will block road and trains,” said Sunny Pal Singh, another protestor.
The Central and State Governments have made it job reservation mandatory for the visually challenged. But bureaucratic delays sometimes deny them their lawful right. (ANI)
- Job hopefuls go on hunger strike on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Jats divided on reservation agitation in Haryana - Feb 26, 2012
- Kashmir disabled observe black day (Dec 3 is World Disabled Day) - Dec 03, 2011
- Quota for disabled in Lok Sabha jobs approved - Sep 13, 2011
- Agitating physiotherapists demanding Govt. jobs arrested in Jammu - Mar 28, 2011
- Primary schoolteachers protest to seek job regularisation from Punjab Govt. - Sep 12, 2010
- Primary school teachers protest to seek job regularisation from Punjab Govt. - Sep 12, 2010
- Small activist groups feel ignored amid Ramdev-Hazare hoopla - Jun 03, 2012
- Jats demand reservations, block Lucknow-Delhi route - Mar 06, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir employees' march foiled - Jun 14, 2012
- Police baton charge Lucknow teachers - Feb 23, 2010
- High court questions Himachal on quota for disabled - Sep 02, 2011
- Protestor dies, Jats could intensify stir - Mar 24, 2011
- Government should implement reservation for disabled: MP - May 02, 2012
- Passenger dies, mob blocks Amritsar railway station - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: agitation, amritsar, authorities, bureaucratic delays, chandigarh, chief minister, demonstrators, heed, job, jobs, office chief, plight, protesters, protestor, secretariat, state governments, taking off clothes, trains, vacancies