Amnesty International calls on Guatemala to investigate political killingsJune 18th, 2011 - 9:12 am ICT by BNO News
LONDON (BNO NEWS) — Amnesty International on Friday urged authorities in Guatemala to investigate a series of alleged politically motivated killings.
The London-based human rights group released a statement after a mayoral candidate was shot dead near Guatemala City. Enrique Dardón, who was running for mayor of San José Pinula, is the third political candidate to be killed since May, when campaigning began for presidential and general elections in September.
“The increase in politically related violence in the run-up to elections is a consequence of the state’s failure to tackle the persistent problem of impunity,” said Sebastian Elgueta, Central America Researcher at Amnesty International. “The authorities must send a clear message that political violence will not be tolerated, by promptly identifying all those responsible and bringing them to justice in fair trials that meet international standards.”
Augusto Ovalle Barrera, a doctor who was also running for mayor of San José Pinula, was shot dead last Saturday along with two of his assistants. On May 8, Darwin Gallardo, a candidate for mayor in Atescatempa, Jutiapa, was shot dead outside his office.
The Guatemalan Human Rights Ombudsman’s Office reported that from January to May 2011 there were 20 killings related to political violence and 15 people were injured.
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Guatemala arrests former top cop for killings - Mar 24, 2012
- Mayor shot dead in Guatemala - Sep 28, 2011
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 40 in Guatemala (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Amnesty finds evidence of state-sponsored abuse in Syria - Jun 15, 2012
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Guatemalan planned his own murder, finds probe - Jan 13, 2010
- Guatemala first lady announces presidential bid - Mar 09, 2011
- 14 dead in Guatemala accident - Jan 09, 2011
- War-torn Guatemalan family reunited after 25 years - Feb 09, 2012
- Woman, two daughters found dismembered in Guatemala - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
- Two shot dead in beauty parlour - Sep 28, 2011
- Head of UN anti-impunity panel in Guatemala quits - Jun 08, 2010
- 73 killed in Guatemala tropical storm - May 31, 2010
Tags: amnesty international, barrera, bno, elgueta, gallardo, general elections, guatemala city, guatemalan, human rights group, human rights ombudsman, impunity, international calls, jutiapa, last saturday, mayoral candidate, ovalle, persistent problem, political candidate, political killings, political violence