Amjad Ali Khan to teach at Stanford UniversityOctober 21st, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, Oct 21 (IANS) Amjad Ali Khan, the sarod maestro, will be teaching for two and half months at Stanford University, according to an announcement from the university.
Khan will be in residence at Stanford from the beginning of April 2012 to the middle of June to teach a course titled ‘Indian classical music: a way of life’. In this course, he will teach student musicians to perform and appreciate North Indian classical music, and will share with them his own experience as a classical musician raised in the traditional system of music discipline.
“The students and faculty of the university are thrilled to have this opportunity to interact with the world’s premiere sarod artiste, ” said Dr Anna Schultz, assistant professor of ethnomusicology at Stanford.
Khan gave his first sarod recital at the age of six and quickly rose to fame by the time he was a teenager. The Scottish Chamber Orchestra premiered his sarod concerto, Samagam, in 2008, and his ‘ancient sounds’ album with Iraqi oud musician Rahim AlHal was released in 2009.
- Wigmore Hall, bastion of chamber music, opens doors to Amjad Ali Khan - Sep 22, 2011
- Indian music helped me overcome days of turmoil: Iraqi musician - Mar 05, 2012
- Creativity needs a world of peace, says Ustad Amjad Ali Khan (Interview) - May 24, 2011
- PM releases Ustad Amjad Ali Khan's new album - Aug 09, 2010
- Heritage Indian instruments retrieved from obscurity - Dec 18, 2010
- Sarod maestro Amjad Ali makes Americans sing to his tune - Jul 20, 2008
- Amjad Ali Khan, Jogen Chowdhury honoured - May 06, 2011
- We are not entertainers: Ustad Amjad Ali Khan (Interview) - Aug 19, 2010
- Pandit Joshi's passing an end of a timeless legacy: Amjad Ali - Jan 24, 2011
- "I don't want to score music for songs that require dancing and singing in gardens"- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan - Jan 20, 2010
- Will India repeat Oscar glory at Grammy's? - Jan 31, 2010
- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan gets Grammy nomination - Dec 03, 2009
- Some give, some take for Mexican pianists in India - Nov 20, 2010
- We're facing cultural aggression from TV: Amjad Ali Khan - Oct 19, 2010
- I want to compose music for Bollywood films: Ustad Amjad Ali Khan (Interview) - Aug 30, 2009
Tags: amjad ali khan, ancient sounds, assistant professor, classical musician, concerto, discipline, ethnomusicology, indian classical music, iraqi oud, north indian classical music, sarod maestro, scottish chamber orchestra, stanford university, student musicians, teenager, university chicago, way of life