Americans most successful at WimbledonJuly 2nd, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 2 (IANS) American tennis players have been rated as the most successful in the Wimbledon Championships with as many as 37 players making to the top-100 rankings issued by a leading English daily. Australia stand second with 17 of its players earning the spot in top 100. Wimbledon host Britain comes third behind the US and Australia, with 11 of its players making the cut, according to The Times.
The Czech-born Martina Navratilova, who won the singles title nine times in her three decades long career is the top singles player at the Wimbledon. American Pete Sampras, the seven-time singles champion, is the highest-placed man, placing sixth — 83 points behind Navratilova.
American Chris Evert is at the third place. German Steffi Graf is ranked fourth, well ahead of her husband Andre Agassi, who is ranked 39.
Defending Wimbledon champion Roger Federer is ranked 17, but The Times noted he could surpass Swede Bjorn Borg to 11th spot if he wins the Championships this year.
Australian Ken Rosewall, ranked 27th, is the best-placed player never to have won the title. Rosewall was runner-up twice in the 1950s and twice in the 1970s.
The Times Top 100 is based on a points system starting at one point for players who reached the final 16 up to 15 points for the Wimbledon champion.
Points were awarded from 1922, when the challenge round was abolished.
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Aishwarya's Stefi-Andre moment! - Jun 10, 2010
- Federer surpasses Sampras' feat - Jul 16, 2012
- The top male tennis player of all time - Jimmy Connors - Mar 02, 2011
- Caroline Wozniacki advances in US Open - Aug 31, 2011
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Li Na becomes first Chinese to qualify for WTA Championships - Oct 06, 2011
- Russian Premier League slips to 53rd slot - Jul 17, 2012
- Petrova returns to WTA top 20 - Jun 24, 2012
- Schiavone fights back to oust Robson (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Samantha Stosur awarded Newcombe medal - Dec 06, 2011
- Sampras, Moya join hometown hero Li Na for exhibition tournament - Dec 17, 2011
- I'm back to playing my best tennis: Sania Mirza (Interview) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: 1950s, american tennis, andre agassi, chris evert, host britain, ken rosewall, martina navratilova, nine times, pete sampras, roger federer, singles title, steffi graf, swede, tennis players, three decades, title nine, wimbledon, wimbledon champion, wimbledon championships, wimbledon london