American Tea Party backed candidates stun Republicans in primariesSeptember 15th, 2010 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 15 (ANI): Two unknown Republican Senate primary candidates, Christine O’Donnell and Ovide Lamontagne, backed by the Tea Party have rocked their entrenched party opponents by winning nominations on Tuesday, posing a major disappointment to the political establishment on the last big day of the primaries.
Christine O’Donnell, a perennial candidate with no government experience, defeated veteran politician Mike Castle, a nine-term congressman and former governor, for the Republican Senate nomination in Delaware.
According to Fox News, O’Donnell’s win not only stands as the latest sign of the Tea Party’s strength but also the latest test of whether that movement helps or hinders the Republican Party, with an open seat and perhaps a GOP Senate majority at stake.
Tea Party backed candidate Ovide Lamontagne also took the early lead in the GOP primary contest for Senate in New Hampshire.
Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman, Tim Kaine, said in a statement that Republican Party has shown just how far right it has moved.
“While Americans in Delaware and across the country are eager for both parties to work together toward solutions that move America forward, Delaware’s Tea Party Republicans have nominated a self-aggrandizing and divisive candidate who seeks to tear down the progress we’ve made to recover from failed Republican economic policies that took us to the brink of economic collapse,” he added. (ANI)
- Tea Party Movement Gains Ground With GOP Senate Primary Wins - Sep 15, 2010
- Kelly Ayotte Gets The Nod In New Hampshire - Sep 17, 2010
- Tea Party-Backed Christine O'Donnell Wins Over Michael Castle - Sep 15, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell Shocks GOP By Her Win - Sep 16, 2010
- Lincoln Chafee Speaks On Christine O'Donnell's Win - Sep 16, 2010
- Tea Party: An Emerging Power Or A Threat To The Republicans ? - Sep 16, 2010
- Tea Party star O'Donnell quips she 'dabbled with witchcraft' in high school - Sep 20, 2010
- Republican Senate chances dealt a fatal blow by Tea Party - Sep 16, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell vows to not to talk to the national media - Sep 23, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell seals book deal - Dec 03, 2010
- Sarah Palin pushes midterm election candidates, teases possible presidential candidacy bid - Sep 18, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell Uses National Media Channel Only To Shun It - Sep 23, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell "Dabbling" Into Witchcraft Causes Stir - Sep 19, 2010
- Tea Party says it can win national elections - Sep 17, 2010
- Christine O'Donnell Makes Light of Witchcraft Comment - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: american tea, christine o donnell, democratic national committee, democratic national committee dnc, dnc chairman, economic collapse, fox news, gop senate, government experience, mike castle, national committee dnc, ovide, perennial candidate, republican party, republican senate, senate majority, senate nomination, term congressman, tim kaine, veteran politician