American Sikhs hail India’s Sikh marriage lawMay 23rd, 2012 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) American Sikhs have hailed as “historic” the passage in the Indian parliament of Anand Marriage Act for the registration of Sikh marriages.
“This is a historic day for Sikhs in Independent India after a long and hard struggle,” said Rajwant Singh, chairman of the Washington based Sikh Council on Religion and Education.
“Not having a full recognition of their observances and their customs in India had created a sense of lack among Sikhs in India and it questioned their independent identity as a community,” he said.
However, a comprehensive law on recognition the Sikh marriage is still needed, he said appealing to Sikh leaders to involve various sections of Sikh intelligentsia for community wide deliberations on the issue.
I.J. Singh, a New York based Sikh commentator and author of several books on Sikhism, said: “Passage of Anand Marriage Amendment is obviously important for Sikhs in India and Sikhs across the world.”
Ranjit Singh, chairman of the Maryland based Guru Gobind Singh Foundation, said: “We are pleased with the outcome of this long standing struggle. Finally Sikhs in India have the chance to feel that they are fully acknowledged.”
It is important for Sikh leaders to evolve consensus on the next phase of the process, he said.
- US group seeks separate registration of Sikh marriages - Sep 01, 2011
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- US Sikh groups rally to ensure safety of community - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders hail move on Sikh marriage Act - Apr 12, 2012
- Sikh Americans agog over Obama's Amritsar trip - Oct 17, 2010
- Sikh Americans disappointed at Obama skipping Golden Temple - Nov 01, 2010
- White House celebrates Guru Nanak's birth anniversary (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Away from Punjab - the south Indian Sikhs (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Sikhism's spiritual high seat: Journeying through Anandpur Sahib (With Image) - Dec 26, 2010
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Sikh Americans campaign for Obama trip to Amritsar (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Sikh body to move Supreme Court over marriage act - Sep 02, 2011
- Sikhs in US happy Obama may visit Golden Temple - Sep 16, 2010
- Michelle Obama to meet families of gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 19, 2012
- Sikh group hires lobbyist to educate US media - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: american sikhs, commentator, consensus, customs, deliberations, guru gobind singh, hail, independent identity, independent india, indian parliament, intelligentsia, marriage, marriage act, marriage amendment, marriage law, observances, parliament, sikh marriage, sikhs in india, struggle