American Sikhs demand protection for their counterparts in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:32 am ICT by admin
“The restoration of democracy in Pakistan is important not only for Pakistan, but also for the entire subcontinent. Whereas the question arises of the Sikh community in Pakistan, I do not think they will face any problem. But still, I would like to appeal to the Government in Pakistan that they should provide proper security to Sikhs living there,” said Jaswant Singh Hotti, the General Secretary of the Gurudwara Sahib at San Jose.
Recent political developments in Pakistan have caused concern to Sikhs living in other parts of the world.
Sikhs are a minority community in Pakistan.
President General Pervez Musharraf imposed an emergency to end challenges to his regime from a hostile judiciary, militants and political rivals.
The United States has called the measure “very disappointing”. (ANI)
- Australian Sikh Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee formed - Apr 16, 2011
- Australian Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in Sydney - Apr 17, 2011
- Indian Sikh delegation in Pakistan calls for Kartarpur Sahib Corridor - Jun 08, 2010
- Over a million Sikhs participate in California parade - Nov 02, 2009
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Several Sikhs join Imran Khan's party - Dec 13, 2011
- SGPC performs Akhand Paath in memory of Taliban-beheaded Sikhs - Feb 25, 2010
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Tens of thousands of Sikhs attend community parade in Yuba City - Nov 02, 2009
- Pakistan to provide three-tier security cover to Sikh Jathas - Oct 13, 2009
- Sham Singh to head Pakistan's Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee - Jan 01, 2010
- Procession held to mark 406th ceremony of installation of Guru Granth Sahib - Sep 01, 2010
- Guru Ram Dass 475th anniversary celebrated - Oct 09, 2009
Tags: american sikhs, counterparts, demand protection, general pervez musharraf, general secretary, gurudwara sahib, jaswant singh, minority community, pakistan government, political developments, political rivals, president general, proper security, sikh community, yuba city california