American service member killed in northern IraqJanuary 17th, 2011 - 8:42 pm ICT by BNO News
BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) — An American service member was killed in northern Iraq on Monday morning, the U.S. military confirmed, but few details were immediately released.
A statement from U.S. Forces - Iraq said a U.S. service member was killed as a result of a non-hostile incident in northern Iraq, but provided no other information. “The name of the deceased and details of the incident are being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense,” the statement said.
The fatalities raise the total number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq so far this year to six, according to a BNO News count based on official information. A total of 60 U.S. service members were killed in Iraq last year, most of whom died as the result of non-hostile incidents.
On Saturday, three American service members were killed in two separate incidents in central and northern Iraq. At the Ghazlani Training Center, south of Mosul, two American soldiers were killed when an Iraqi soldier attacked them during a training event being conducted by U.S. forces. In the other incident. in central Iraq, an American service member was killed during an operation, but no other details were released.
- Three American troops die in central and northern Iraq - Jan 15, 2011
- Two U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq - Apr 24, 2011
- US soldier dies in non-combat incident in Iraq - Jul 19, 2011
- Bomb targeting U.S. convoy in Iraq injures Pakistani driver - Mar 01, 2011
- Two U.S. soldiers die in non-combat-related incidents in Iraq - May 04, 2010
- US soldier killed in Iraq - Nov 16, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Mar 27, 2012
- Two U.S. soldiers die in Iraqi vehicle accident - Mar 09, 2010
- Military: Two U.S. soldiers killed, five injured in northern Iraq - Apr 08, 2010
- Iraqi Security Forces kill and arrest suspected senior al-Qaeda in Iraq leaders - Apr 21, 2010
- Two service members killed in U.S. Army helicopter crash in northern Iraq - Feb 22, 2010
- U.S. soldier dies in vehicle roll-over in Iraq - Mar 17, 2010
- U.S. soldier died in Iraq in vehicle related accident - Feb 24, 2010
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- Bomb blast kills 5 more NATO troops in southern Afghanistan - Aug 11, 2011