American history museum to host 9/11 exhibitSeptember 2nd, 2011 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 2 (IANS) The National Museum of American History in the US capital will soon kick-off a nine-day exhibition of more than 50 objects related to the terror attacks of Sep 11, 2001.
Materials collected from the three sites of the attacks — New York City’s World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Shanksville, Pennsylvania — will be displayed at the “September 11: Remembrance and Reflection” exhibit, Xinhua reported quoting curators of the museum.
“Each of us has a story about September 11. This display provides a place to remember and share our personal experiences as well as those of others,” said Marc Pachter, the museum’s interim director.
To create an intimate experience for visitors, the objects will be shown on tables rather than behind glass.
“This is an unprecedented close-up view of the September 11 objects,” he said.
Items on display include airplane fragments, a door from a crushed fire truck, a flight attendant’s handbook from Flight 93, a Pentagon map from the building’s second floor and objects recovered from offices.
Nearly 3,000 people were killed Sep 11, 2001 when Al Qaeda terrorists hijacked four passenger planes and crashed them into the twin towers of the World Trade Center, and Pentagon in Virginia. One plane crashed in Shanksville after passengers attempted to retake control of the aircraft.
- Australia to hold 9/11 ceremony - Sep 08, 2011
- US issues travel alert ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Sep 03, 2011
- Obama, Michelle to attend 10th anniversary of 9/11 - Aug 03, 2011
- F-16s scrambled as US marked 9/11 anniversary - Sep 12, 2011
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama visits Shanksville crash site - Sep 12, 2011
- New York marks 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack - Sep 11, 2011
- Fighter jets intercept Detroit-bound plane after passengers 'make out' in bathroom - Sep 12, 2011
- A message that showed 9/11 was about to happen - Sep 09, 2011
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- Osama Bin Laden grossly underestimated U.S. retaliation to 9/11: Ex-associate - Apr 28, 2010
- F-16 jets shadow Denver plane which had a 'Kissing Couple' onboard - Sep 13, 2011
- Obama to mark 9/11 at Pentagon - Sep 08, 2010
- President Obama to speak at Pentagon Memorial Service on 9/11 - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: american history museum, curators, fire truck, flight 93, flight attendant, fragments, interim director, intimate experience, national museum of american history, pachter, passenger planes, pentagon, personal experiences, sep 11 2001, september 11 remembrance, shanksville pennsylvania, terror attacks, twin towers, world trade center, xinhua