American fighter jet shot down Iranian drone over Iraq: ReportMarch 14th, 2009 - 4:24 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 14 (ANI): An American fighter jet has reportedly shot down an Iranian drone as it was flying over Iraq.
Details of the previously unreported shoot-down, which occurred last month, are still sketchy, but we do know that American commanders have long accused Tehran of supplying weapons and training to all sorts of Iraqi militant groups, Wired News quoted a military source, as saying.
Iran has built an array of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs. The pneumatically launched Ababil (Swallow) has a wingspan of more than 10 feet, and cruises at 160 knots, according to Globalsecurity.org. The Mohajer or Misrad (Migrant) drone is a bit smaller, and slower.
Iran has supplied Hezbollah, the Lebanese terror group, with both models. Misrad drones flew reconnaissance missions in both November 2004 and April 2005.
Then, in 2006, during Hezbollah’’s war with Israel, the group operated both Misrads and Ababils over Israel’’s skies. Israeli fighter jets shot one down.
Since then, Tehran claims to have radically upgraded its unmanned fleet. In 2007, Iran said it built a drone with a range of 420 miles.
In February, Iran’’s deputy defense minister claimed its latest UAV could now fly as far as 600 miles — a huge improvement over crude drones like the Misrad, if true.
Iran often exaggerates what its weapons can do. But, if this drone really can stay in the air for that long, the Washington Times notes, “it could soar over every US military installation, diplomatic mission or country of interest in the Middle East.” Including those in Iraq. (ANI)
- US says it shot down Iranian drone over Iraq - Mar 17, 2009
- Iran has drone engine know-how - Feb 25, 2012
- Iran to use UAVs to guard its borders - Oct 03, 2011
- Iran successfully tests Fateh-110 missile - Aug 26, 2010
- Israel Air Force gets new generation drone - Feb 22, 2010
- Iran inaugurates anti-cruise missile system - May 05, 2010
- 'Israel will need 100 planes to attack Iran' - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran to unveil new home-made UAV - Jan 30, 2012
- Iran unveils first unmanned aerial vehicle to deliver "peace and friendship" - Aug 23, 2010
- Iran unveils first indigenous drone - Aug 22, 2010
- Iran test-fires another missile - Aug 25, 2010
- Russian army to get first indigenous UAV in 2014 - Jun 29, 2012
- Brazil's Embraer to begin building drones - Sep 09, 2011
- Unmanned plane becomes first jet in the world to fly without 'flaps' - Sep 27, 2010
- Ahmadinejad threatens to send US to the 'morgue' - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: ababils, defense minister, deputy defense, diplomatic mission, drone, drones, fighter jet, hezbollah, iraq report, israeli fighter jets, militant groups, military installation, military source, mohajer, reconnaissance missions, terror group, uav, unmanned aerial vehicles, washington times, wingspan