American diver Wilkinson eyes golden farewellAugust 2nd, 2008 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (Xinhua) American diver Laura Wilkinson hopes to repeat her splendid victory of the Sydney Olympics in the Water Cube here and wants a perfect farewell in Beijing. The American diving team had their first training session here Friday.
As an American diving icon, the 30-year-old Wilkinson, winner of the women’s 10m platform at the Sydney Olympics and the 2005 Montreal worlds, caught people’s attention while walking into the venue. She qualified for the women’s 10m platform here after finishing first in the American Diving Trial in June.
This is the third Olympics for the veteran. “It’s my last Olympic Games, I’m excited. The Olympics are always exciting. It doesn’t get old,” said the 10m platform specialist.
“I definitely think I have the potential to win gold,” said the 30-year-old champion.
“Obviously my biggest rival will be the Chinese who are quite strong and consistent. Emily Heymans of Canada and Paola Espinosa of Mexico are hopeful too. Many talented divers will fight for the old.”
Many female divers transferred from platform to springboard when they are getting old, but not Wilkinson. Wilkinson said she has never given it a thought. “I like platform. I like the feeling of fly.”
- China grabs third diving gold at London Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- Australia announce diving team for Olympics - May 29, 2012
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Mexican diving duo eye gold at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Laura Wilkinson the gold medalists places 5th - Aug 21, 2008
- Canadian diving star Despatie all set to make a splash - Jul 18, 2008
- Diving champ Daley rules himself out of race at Youth Games - Aug 21, 2010
- Olympics: Mexican president lauds divers for silver medal - Jul 31, 2012
- China's supremacy in diving unshakeable (Preview) - Jul 15, 2008
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimming - Jul 31, 2012
- Bessi and Ibarguen voted best in Latin America-Caribbean - Dec 23, 2011
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: 10m platform, american diver, aug 2, beijing, champion, diving team, emily heymans, farewell, laura wilkinson, montreal, olympic games, olympics, paola espinosa, springboard, sydney olympics, training session, venue, veteran, wilkinson wilkinson, xinhua