America greets its 44th President Barack Obama with a deafening roarJanuary 21st, 2009 - 1:29 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.20 (ANI): There was a deafening roar which erupted among the crowd of hundreds of thousands of people, as President-elect Barack Obama was introduced at the Capitol before his swearing-in on Tuesday. The crowd greeted the President-elect to the stage shouting: Obama, Obama.
Earlier, thousands of spectators crammed the street outside one of the security gates at the ceremony Thursday.
Saddleback Church founder Rick Warren delivered the invocation, calling for the nation to put its differences aside. “We know today that [the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.] and a great cloud of witnesses are shouting in heaven,” Rick Warren stated in the prayer. Obama, sworn in using the same Bible that was used in Abraham Lincoln’’s inauguration, greeted congressional leaders on a stage stretching across the front of the Capitol.
Obama extended Rep. John Lewis, D-Georgia, a warm hug after being introduced. (ANI)
- Obama scripts history at noon (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Aretha Franklin to perform at Obama''s inaugural ceremony - Dec 18, 2008
- History at noon: Obama is US president (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- From Bush to Obama, traditions anchor inaugural ceremony - Jan 18, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- Obama's choice of inaugural pastor angers gay activists - Jan 16, 2009
- Protesters ask Obama to stop Pakistan's threat against India - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama to be served Lincoln-themed food on Inauguration day - Jan 14, 2009
- Schedule of events for Obama's inauguration - Jan 20, 2009
- Schedule of events for Barack Obama''s inauguration as 44th US President - Jan 19, 2009
- Obama's train journey describes arc of US history - Jan 18, 2009
- Gays, others dismayed as Obama picks controversial pastor - Dec 20, 2008
- Diwali, New Year in Karnataka as India win World Cup - Apr 03, 2011
- Conservatives flood Washington rally - Aug 29, 2010
- Obama comes calling at the White House at the door of history - Jan 20, 2009
Tags: 44th president, abraham lincoln, barack obama, cloud of witnesses, congressional leaders, crowd, hundreds of thousands, inauguration, invocation, john lewis, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, president elect, rev martin, rick warren, roar, saddleback church, security gates, spectators, warm hug