Ambulance that carried JFK’s casket up for grabsJanuary 5th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 5 (ANI): The 1963 Pontiac Bonneville ambulance that carried the body of former US President John F. Kennedy following his assassination will be auctioned later this month.
It will be on sale at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction, which begins on January 17, reports Fox News.
The vehicle was used to collect Kennedy’s flag-draped coffin from Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland upon its return from Dallas.
Kennedy’s wife Jacqueline and his brother Robert accompanied the President’s body as it was transported to Bethesda Naval Hospital for an autopsy.
After its naval service, the car was sold as surplus and held by a single owner until it was sold again last year.
The ambulance, one of 15 similar vehicles purchased by the U.S. military in 1963, remains in its original condition, complete with U.S. Naval livery, jump seats and two oxygen tanks.
Since the vehicle is being sold without reserve, and given its unique history, it is difficult to estimate its value. (ANI)
- Controversial JFK ambulance sold for $120K at auction - Jan 24, 2011
- JFK hearse up for auction - Dec 20, 2011
- Obama's Chrysler 300 up for sale - Jan 27, 2012
- Coffin of JFK's killer sold for $90,000 - Dec 18, 2010
- Sly's 'Expendables' truck sold for $132K at auction - Jan 25, 2011
- Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin sells for $87,469 - Dec 17, 2010
- Roy Rogers' stuffed horse fetches $266,500 at auction - Jul 17, 2010
- After 47 yrs, Secret Service Agents break silence on JFK assassination - Nov 14, 2010
- DiCaprio to make film on John F. Kennedy - Nov 20, 2010
- Rare footage that shows JFK's last night made public - Feb 23, 2011
- No one will shoot me: JFK told secret service agents - Sep 20, 2011
- Katie recreates heartbreaking moments as Jackie Kennedy - Aug 18, 2010
- Tom Hanks to produce new Kennedy film - Aug 18, 2012
- Only 2 Kennedy siblings left on earth - Aug 12, 2009
- Kennedy Miniseries: Showtime May Get It After History Washes Hands - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: air force one, ambulance, andrews air force, andrews air force base, autopsy, barrett jackson, bethesda naval hospital, brother robert, flag draped coffin, fox news, grabs, jacqueline, jfk, john f kennedy, jump seats, livery, oxygen tanks, pontiac, pontiac bonneville, president john f kennedy