Amazon Kindle e-book downloads surpass paperback books in USJanuary 29th, 2011 - 4:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 28 (ANI): Amazon has claimed that it has sold more e-books for its Kindle device in the United States as compared to paperback books in the last three months of 2010.
The BBC quoted the world’s biggest online retailer as saying that it had sold 115 e-book downloads for every 100 paperback books in the US since the beginning of the year.
Three month net sales reportedly surpassed 10 billion dollars for the first time, up 36 percent to 12.95 billion.
“Last July we announced that Kindle books had passed hardcovers and predicted that Kindle would surpass paperbacks in the second quarter of this year. So this milestone has come even sooner than we expected - and it’s on top of continued growth in paperback sales,” Amazon boss Jeff Bezos said.
Although it did not specify how many of its Kindle devices it has sold, Amazon said they have overtaken the final book in the Harry Potter series to become the top-selling item in Amazon’s history.
Amazon shares have reportedly risen nearly 75 percent from their low-point of 105.80 dollars in July last year, the report said.
Profit margins, however, were less because it had spent money on discounting, acquisitions and building new depots, it added. (ANI)
- Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 31, 2011
- Amazon reveals that their Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 28, 2011
- Kindle outsells print versions of books - May 20, 2011
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader, HD tablet - Sep 07, 2012
- Review Calls Amazon Kindle "Confusing, Expensive, but Promising" - Oct 05, 2010
- Mills & Boon e-books record booming sales - Mar 07, 2011
- Amazon Kindle's e-books are more expensive than their hardcover editions - Oct 05, 2010
- Google launch their online bookstore - Dec 07, 2010
- Amazon.com Presents 'Kindle' Worth $139 As Its Rivalry Against Apple Intensifies - Jul 30, 2010
- Amazon Unveils New $139 Kindle, as Copia Announces Upcoming $99 E-Reader - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: acquisitions, amazon kindle, amazon shares, bbc, billion dollars, boss, e book, e books, harry potter, harry potter series, jan 28, jeff bezos, milestone, net sales, online retailer, paperback books, paperbacks, profit margins, second quarter, three months