Altaf Hussain agreed to show restraint on Benzair’s return: UK paperNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
“Because the MQM leadership is based in London the British are taking the lead and the Americans are working with them,” The Independent quoted a western diplomat, as saying.
The daily claimed that the British and American diplomats have met the MQM leaders and obtained assurance that they would do nothing to hinder Benazir’s return.
Confirming that the MQM had spoken to British officials, Farooq Sattar, a senior member of the MQM, said his party dad publicly undertaken not to disrupt Benazir’s return, The Dawn reported.
Declining that the British High Commission played any role in the negotiations, a diplomat said that they met all of Pakistan’s political parties “as a matter of course”.
However, he admitted that Britain and the EU had “called on all parties to exercise restraint” on the occasion of Benazir’s return.
“However, the so-called National Reconciliation Ordinance signed by President Pervez Musharraf on Friday that cleared the way for Benazir’s retun also wipes clear a raft of charges against other politicians, including MQM members,” the paper said. (ANI)
- Pakistan's MQM chief hospitalised in London - Aug 29, 2011
- 'International powers are active to eliminate me,' says MQM chief Altaf Hussain - Sep 27, 2010
- MQM to continue supporting 'French Revolution' in Pak: Altaf Hussain - Oct 11, 2010
- Chaos in Karachi after MQM leader's killing in London - Sep 17, 2010
- Apologise for security lapse on Osama: MQM chief - May 04, 2011
- Deploy army in Karachi, demands MQM chief - Aug 04, 2011
- PPP leader says Musharraf could be arrested on his return to Pakistan - Sep 15, 2010
- Reciprocate Pakistan role in freeing Indians: MQM chief (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- 'I won't mind returning with 'military uniform on' to make Pakistan sovereign': Altaf - Jan 25, 2011
- 'PML-Q, MQM agree to join hands in Pakistan's national interest' - Feb 14, 2011
- MQM for `referendum' after Osama killing (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- MQM set to rejoin PPP-led Pak coalition govt - Jan 07, 2011
- Only MQM can bring Pakistan out of financial crisis, corruption: Altaf Hussain - Feb 19, 2011
- Altaf Hussain claims MQM enemies who killed Farooq now baying for his blood - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistan Army, ISI infected with cancer: MQM - May 28, 2011
Tags: altaf hussain, american diplomats, benazir, british high commission, british officials, exercise restraint, farooq sattar, hinder, hindrance, leadership, matter of course, mqm leaders, national reconciliation, pakistan, president pervez musharraf, western diplomat